advice on cylinder size required

We are in the process of redoing our house (big extension on the back a

well as the attic being converted) it's now down to me to do all th heating, plumming , electrical etc. The advice i need is i have a system boiler but i can't decide on th size of the hot water cylinder i need. We're probably going to get range tribune indirect cylinder but reading their litrature i'm gettin confused , one page says a 150L will be ok (the house has 3 bedrooms , bathrooms for the moment) the next page says either a 180L or 210L . I'm going along the lines that i want a bit of redundancy built in s as we never run out of hot water but i don't want to go over the top. Any advice / comments greatly appreciate

-- scubabob

Reply to
scubabob

As big as will fit frankly.

Ive got 250L and its easy to run it cold with a couple of big baths, or one bath and a bit of hand washing.

Only you however, know whether spending an hout an a half in water up to your chin reading Lord of The Rings is a regular feature, or if your wife regularly leaves hot taps running all afternoon..Or indeed if you have hygienically challenged kids who are obsessive compulsive about a shower every five minutes, all at the same time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have a 210 litre cylinder for exactly that reason.

There are really four considerations.

1) What is the footprint on the floor? I found that they are the same above a certain capacity and the height changes

2) What is the height? Usually this is not an issue, though.

3) Heat loss. As long as the cylinder is adequately insulated with (e.g.) 50mm of foam, there is very little heatloss and one can reasonably go for large capacity.

4) Heating the cylinder.

The aspect of this is that one wants to reheat the cylinder quickly. To that end, a fast recovery type should be found and used together with a fairly powerful boiler. Most system boilers modulate, so even if the CH requires only 15kW, you could go for a 30kW boiler. That will heat the cylinder quickly but drop down in power for the CH.

The Tribune meets those requirements.

I'd go for the 210litre, but the 150 and 180 may well be OK - it would depend on the pattern of use. You could do the sums based on an assumed pattern of use, cold water temperatures and so on. I decided that that was not a meaningful exercise because there were too many variables. As a result, I used a 210 litre and forgot about it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've had all of those. The only difficulty of decision for the wife was which chin.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Unvented cylinder? Forget it. It is no more expensive and probably cheaper to have a high flow Rinnai multi-point. It will give hot water for ever. Hav ethe CH boiler do CH only and the multi-point do DHW - they have models which can be fitted outside to save space. From a recent post of mine:

I know he detested the tank in the loft as it got in the way. He also didn't like the cylinder taking up space too. His house is a three floor town house with garage on the ground floor, heated by forced air which they love. One bathroom two showers. I suggested they spend some extra and go for a high water flow Rinnai multi-point in the loft on the gable end. Rinnai and Andrews have models which can be fitted "outside" too, saving lots of space in the house. They said yes, seeing the benefits of space saved and long showers. They get annoyed when the cylinder runs out of hot water when showering which happened far too often for them, and in the mornings too as the immersion does not recover fast enough when consecutive showers are taken.

I fitted the Rinnai last week with a flow switch in the cold supply, and the room stat of the forced air heater run through the switch, so when DHW is called by the Rinnai the air unit is switched out as the gas meter is not big enough. The air unit is a conventional flue job, with a simple gas multifunction control. The whole job took less than a day to do.

What happy bunnies. They rave over the mains pressure showers and the space they have gained. Two showers can be had whereas before they could not have two together only one with big gaps between. Now they have showers for as long as they want and when they want. The bath fills up as fast as before too.

They like the idea that the DHW temperature can be controlled by a waterproof remote temperature controller. They never went for it, but is can be easily fitted after. So you can lay in the bath and control the temperature of running hot tap. The Rinnai can have up to four of these.

Rinnai and Andrews high flow multi-points are very cost effective. And now are cheaper than fitting unvented cylinders.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 15:50:44 +0000 someone who may be scubabob wrote this:-

Where are you intending to place this cylinder? Where is the boiler?

Has the extension and existing house been arranged so that draw-off lengths are minimised? If it hasn't been then it may be that more than one source of hot water is more suitable.

Reply to
David Hansen

It seems as though Rinnai is your boiler-of-the-month.

Are they on promotion or is your shop offering Christmas at Butlins for selling the most?

What happened to Alpha? They were all the rage three months ago.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have an OSO unvented 210L just for the two of us in a Bungalow. The boiler is a 90,000 BTU condensing oiler.

We both like to soak in a tub. I wouldn't change this now I've got it. And it's cheaper to run than the undersized combi it replaced.

R.

Reply to
Richard Downing

That sounds a bit strange. A fast recovery system should have the tank back up to temperature soon after a normal length bath. Unless the bath is a Roman one. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends..don't run hot water timer on continuously..and its only a 10KW boiler.

Takes about 30 minutes from dead cold IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Like this?

Andy Hall

Not many are going to entertain the idea of a second boiler purely for water. Extra installation and capital costs, extra space wasted, and extra maintenance. Most house buyers (which seems to be important to dribble) would run a hundred miles when confronted with such a set up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Right. If running out of hot water is a problem because of the boiler programming, might be worth fitting more comprehensive temperature sensing on the cylinder and leaving the boiler enabled?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know..however I haven't had the problem very often..usually after SHE has left a hot tap running and wandered off to do something else..

I modified it to come on midday as well, this helps. So early morning baths plus mid morning sink use doesn't leave it cold in early evening..

I COULD put the leccy immersion on 24/7 at lower temps than the boiler..hot water is not a huge part of the heating bill..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Jesus man, you really need an off switch.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

You don't actually chain her to the kitchen sink then?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah. I can perhaps understand leaving the cold water running when washing vegetables etc, but the hot?

The best way would be to fit twin stats to the tank - so the boiler can't just top up the tank, but waits until it's near empty. If that's what you prefer. Although with a well lagged system and reasonable runs from storage tank to boiler I'm not sure it makes a great deal of difference.

It might be then...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Matt it is not a boiler, it is a multi-point water heater. It can also be fitted outside and less than the cost of an equiv unvented cylinder.

They still are but he already has a boiler. Matt, you are not very bright.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Will you please eff off as you are a total and utter idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I sense a plantpot member of the uk-d-i-y Lunatic Association (affiliated)

Reply to
Doctor Drivel