Advice on bath showers please

My daughter has a combi boiler and is looking for a shower,owing to space it will be in the bath. She has decided she would prefer one to run off the combi rather than electric to get higher pressure. Having a tight budget she would like to forgo a thermostatic one. This made me wonder what is the disadvantage of a shower off the bath taps is as against a dedicated mixer shower. All advice and views most welcome.

TIA

Reply to
Broadback

My experience of a combined bath tap & shower unit has been good... BUT only in situations where both taps are fed from the same pressure source. Eg. both from a loft tank (the hot via a traditional cylinder fed from the same tank) or both from the mains (but watch out for restrictors on the input to the Combi)

The down-side is that if someone opens a tap or flushes the loo then it can have a rather sudden and drastic effect on temperature and flow rate...

One house I lived in had mains cold water and tanked hot - it was almost impossible to regulate the temperature to the shower unless we ran the cold tap in the sink full blast to take some of the flow away from the bath, and even then it was still very touch & go about regulating it.

Good luck..

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Mira 415 will balance the flow of hot/ cold and will cope the mains pressure. Had one for 12 years - works fine.

Reply to
John

As menitioned before in a previous thread, the 415 is pressure balanced shower and not thermostatic. Hence it will work best with the type of combi that modulates the flow rate of the hot water to keep a constant temperature at the tap. If your combi it the type that will let you demand any flow you like (but at the expense of the water getting progressively cooler as the flow rate increases) then it might not be as good.

Not sure if they still have any, but about a month ago Makro were selling a bristan thermostatic mixer for about 50+VAT. Should be OK with mains pressure and probably as cheap as a bog standard non thermostatic mixer.

Looked like:

John Rumm