Advice needed

Can anyone suggest a group similar to uk d-i-y but dealing with television/surround sound questions. I have a Tevion DVD from Aldi with surround sound speakers but have yet to set it up properly. If I set it so the music soundtrack plays on all speakers the spoken dialogue is almost inaudible.Any suggestions please.

Reply to
Mortimer

Go to Deja News (part of Google now), type in "problem surround sound tv" and look at the newsgroups that come up on the hits.

rec.audi.tech alt.home-theater.misc

etc

A little lateral thinking is never a bad thing in life doncha know?

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

try uk.media.home-cinema uk.rec.audio

or

Kerry Hoskin

rec.audio uk.rec.audio.*

Reply to
N. Thornton

or even uk.media.dvd

Reply to
Colin Wilson

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:28:26 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Pete C strung together this:

I've got a boxfull of IEC leads, with a special 'black' audio improving finish. If anyone wants one, they're half price at £50 only with FREE p&p!

Reply to
Lurch

"Pete C" wrote | Looked at What Hi Fi the other day, they were reviewing | audiophile 'kettle' leads, some of them were priced | at £100 or £130!!!

Useless rubbish. Unless you've got a gold-plated service fuse your mains supply is irredeemably contaminated.

And anyway, you shouldn't be using a kettle in the same room as a hi-fi. The humidiy changes will affect the elasticity of the turntable drive belt.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Pete C wrote

Are these the polarised ones where the electrons only flow one way?

Reply to
Alan

Not only that but OFC T&E back to the meter.

I have found it boils the water with more clarity, bringing out the subtleties in my cuppa.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

"Pete C" wrote | >Useless rubbish. Unless you've got a gold-plated service fuse | >your mains supply is irredeemably contaminated. | Not only that but OFC T&E back to the meter.

Meter? That's a series inductor isn't it? What a horrible thing to have in the mains supply, rip it out and hope the sheriff is an audiophile too.

| >And anyway, you shouldn't be using a kettle in the same room | >as a hi-fi. The humidiy changes will affect the elasticity | >of the turntable drive belt. | I have found it boils the water with more clarity, bringing | out the subtleties in my cuppa.

A good cup of tea brings out the flavour of the sugar.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , Mortimer writes

This is what happens if the surround sound is "simulated" rather than being proper Dolby surround. The surround speakers are fed a stereo difference signal (left-right). This has the effect of removing all sound which is central in the stereo field, i.e. the dialogue. It will enhance anything which is obviously left or right, like atmospheric effects and orchestral music.

I am not sure what you should do about it, the best thing would be to turn down the volume of the surround speakers, if you can, when not using a Dolby 5.1 surround DVD.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

No it doesn't. Central images will be in phase (mono). Of course, if you set the level of the out of phase speakers (surround) too loud, you can drown out anything. ;-)

I wonder if it's set to use a central speaker which either doesn't exist or is too quiet? Dolby Pro Logic allows you to set a phantom central channel which gets round the need for a separate speaker - not sure about all the variants.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Because two decent transformers cost a small fortune.

Reply to
Dave Plowman