Advesive for brick?

I need to re-fit one engineering brick at the end of an external garden wall, which came off after I accidentally knocked it fairly hard(!). I guess the mortar mix was pretty weak. It was built about a year ago.

The brick has come away complete with the mortar still attached. I'm reluctant to remove the mortar and make new stuff, as if the mix isn't quite the same the colour won't match.

Can anyone suggest a resin type adhesive or similar that could be used to bond the brick back in, thereby leaving the existing adhesive attached, and making an invisible repair?

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD

Resin mortar aka chemical mortar will fill gaps and sets solid in 10's on minutes. This would almost certainly do what you need:

out - that may need a larger than normal mastic gun. Fischer do the same stuff in "normal" cartridge sizes.

Reply to
Tim Watts

you could use a resin if you want. Epoxy, polyester, vinylester... I cant see it being invisible, but it should show a lot less than a new mortar joint. I'm not recommending gluing it like this, but you cuold.

NT

Reply to
NT

Expensive:

nonsense:

Dave Osborne

about weird gun sizes, the NoNonsense *does* require a larger diameter gun, so a tube of Fischer's may work out cheaper for a one off.

Reply to
Tim Watts

gorilla glue ? polyurethane moisture cured in 20mins sticks like s*1t to a blanket - weight the brick down whilst it cures.....

even a tesco "extra" had it for =A34 a bottle recently

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Having used a load of PU glue (which is what Gorilla Glue is) I'd agree with that too...

Reply to
Tim Watts

The gun they point to is this one:

seems to be standard size but heavy duty so perhaps the o/p will get away with a standard gun for a one off.

I'd def go for the cheap resin, you don't want any granular fillers packing out the joint if it is to be invisible.

Reply to
fred

I think that gun is subtley larger. There isn't much in it - just enough to be annoying. I managed with a normal gun, but it didn;t like it at all - kept trying to jump out.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks for the inside info. Shame it's 14quid for the gun though, sort of rules it out for a one off job (for tight arses).

Reply to
fred

Just look for some resin that's in normal format :) Fischer is OK, but I'm sure there are others...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I used PU to glue a length of 4x2 to the side of the house (brick) to attach a fence to. It had previously been attached with anchor bolts that had broken out of the brick. Seems to be holding well.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Thanks all for the advise, i'll give the cheap screwfix stuff a go, it looks ideal. I have a large gun already so that isn't an issue.

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD