Home Automation, control your household lights and appliances over the internet

Page 1 of 2
AutoM8it (automate it) is a windows application with built in webserver that allows you to control your home from anywhere in the world over the internet. You can turn lights and appliances on and off, close the curtains, have incoming telephone numbers spoken to you, monitor temeratures in different rooms and lots lots more.
For more information please check out www.autom8it.com
We can help with advice on your self build and DIY installs of Home Automation gear.
Jim Brett wrote:

Cool! Can I use your product to send spam from my home PC from anywhere in the world?
Can I also use it to report spammers to their ISPs? Like to snipped-for-privacy@google.com for instance?
--
Grunff

Sounds like a hackers dream!

I can just imagine a house controlled by windose. The mind boggles.
--
*Re-elect nobody

You can imagine it on a hot summers day - having to close all the open windows, rebooting it, then reopening the windows again...
London SW 12

Ouch !! That would have to hurt. :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On 15 Oct 2003 06:33:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@autom8it.com (Jim Brett) wrote:

Registrant: YellowMelon Ltd 16 Duchess Way Royal Country Park Chellaston Derby, UK DE73 1WR GB
Domain name: AUTOM8IT.COM
Administrative Contact: Brett, James snipped-for-privacy@yellowmelon.com 16 Duchess Way Royal Country Park Chellaston Derby, UK DE73 1WR GB 441332690832
Piss off you spamming git.
--

Dave

Firstly: The email obviously offended a number of people and i would like to take this opportunity to apologise to you all with the exception of DAVE.
This message was posted with the best of intentions and marked clearly as an advert.
Whilst I appreciate the general dis-like for spamming, this was a one of message constructed especially for this group and was a not crosss posted and was directed towards the groups interests. I sincerley hoped it may of been of use to some people, and yes its utlitamte intentions were to increase sales. So I accept the fact it was deemed as spam.
You will no doubt be very happy to hear i will not post to this group again. As i respect the groups thoughts and opinions (again not including DAVE)
DAVE: i do feel your response was both uncalled for and childish. If you had a greivance with me or the company, you could have posted a professional and courtous reply to my message and i would have respected yours and more importantly the groups wishes.
And there was certianly no need to send me a private email spoofed as myself hurling insults and swearing. A simple email addressed directly to me, requesting the spam be stopped was all it would have taken to which i would have concurred.
Jim Brett wrote:

I see - that's how it works? You spam people, and expect a polite email asking you to stop it?
You say your message was specifically aimed at the group - if that's the case, then one might have expected you to have done a little research, found the groups FAQs, and read the bit (in big red writing) about commercial posts.
--
Grunff

I thought part of the raison d'etre of spammers was specifically to collect valid email addresses to sell onto other spammers.....
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs

How d'you like your SPAM. You can 'ave Spam with chips. You can 'ave your spam with spam, or you can 'ave it wiff even more chips. :-))
SPAM is normally defined as unsolicited advertising e-mail which is created to gain the sender profits from selling wares or services for personal gain. The law now states that such e-mail must only be sent to persons who have asked for such mailings to be sent to there personal e-mail service for their perusal.
That's why most software is packaged with the option to "Opt In" to the makers offer of sending you information of other products which might be of interest to.
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:38:56 GMT, "BigWallop"

*resists monty python urge*

I know, but that's like a raindrop in the ocean compared to the other ways people harvest email addresses, the worst offenders being the sites who insist you register to use their service using a valid email address and e-card 'services', and sites that have a 'hey I found this page interesting option so I want to send it to' feature.
"we promise we won't use your email address for anything other than a login but we also promise to change our privacy policy overnight"
And you wouldn't believe how many machines I've worked on for people that have GATOR installed....grrrr....'oh this option box popped up asking if I wanted to install something so I said yes'
sassenfrassenrassenrickrastardly :)
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Aaaahhhh !!! Just read the word GATOR and it still sends a shudder up my spine. I was once asked to register for one of the site you mean, but the photo's they sent to my e-mail address were nothing spectacular. I've seen better. Or am I thinking of the wrong type of web site ? :-))
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:31:34 GMT, "BigWallop"

I can't imagine gator sex being much to look at!
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Dunno. I'd guess a love bite would be something else.
--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:32:45 +0100, Dave Plowman

LOL! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:35:10 +0100, Witchy

I expect you'd have to give it a "whirl" to find the attraction! Most gators seem to like it just fine ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

I'm feeling generous today so I'll let you have a go first! -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
All im actually saying is theres no need for swearing and insults and the childish behavour. If everyone in the world took this attitude we would get nowhere.
I have admitted it was a mistake to post and have apologised. I would like to see any true "spammer" do the same?

If your market research had gone to plan, you do have a marketing plan don't you, you would have noticed that the group is for people helping other people with a job they would like to tackle themselves. Hence the title having DIY in it.
Now, if you have some expertise which you can share with others, then you are welcome to contribute to the groups activities, but not to tell them you'll come round and do the job for them at a price. The point of the group is to pass on tips and hints on what to and not to do while tackling a specific personal project.