<ADVERT> Home Automation, control your household lights and appliances over the internet

AutoM8it (automate it) is a windows application with built in webserver that allows you to control your home from anywhere in the world over the internet. You can turn lights and appliances on and off, close the curtains, have incoming telephone numbers spoken to you, monitor temeratures in different rooms and lots lots more.

For more information please check out

We can help with advice on your self build and DIY installs of Home Automation gear.

Reply to
Jim Brett

Cool! Can I use your product to send spam from my home PC from anywhere in the world?

Can I also use it to report spammers to their ISPs? Like to snipped-for-privacy@google.com for instance?

Reply to
Grunff

Sounds like a hackers dream!

Reply to
Martin

I can just imagine a house controlled by windose. The mind boggles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Registrant: YellowMelon Ltd 16 Duchess Way Royal Country Park Chellaston Derby, UK DE73 1WR GB

Domain name: AUTOM8IT.COM

Administrative Contact: Brett, James snipped-for-privacy@yellowmelon.com 16 Duchess Way Royal Country Park Chellaston Derby, UK DE73 1WR GB 441332690832

Piss off you spamming git.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You can imagine it on a hot summers day - having to close all the open windows, rebooting it, then reopening the windows again...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Ouch !! That would have to hurt. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Firstly: The email obviously offended a number of people and i would like to take this opportunity to apologise to you all with the exception of DAVE.

This message was posted with the best of intentions and marked clearly as an advert.

Whilst I appreciate the general dis-like for spamming, this was a one of message constructed especially for this group and was a not crosss posted and was directed towards the groups interests. I sincerley hoped it may of been of use to some people, and yes its utlitamte intentions were to increase sales. So I accept the fact it was deemed as spam.

You will no doubt be very happy to hear i will not post to this group again. As i respect the groups thoughts and opinions (again not including DAVE)

DAVE: i do feel your response was both uncalled for and childish. If you had a greivance with me or the company, you could have posted a professional and courtous reply to my message and i would have respected yours and more importantly the groups wishes.

And there was certianly no need to send me a private email spoofed as myself hurling insults and swearing. A simple email addressed directly to me, requesting the spam be stopped was all it would have taken to which i would have concurred.

Reply to
Jim Brett

I see - that's how it works? You spam people, and expect a polite email asking you to stop it?

You say your message was specifically aimed at the group - if that's the case, then one might have expected you to have done a little research, found the groups FAQs, and read the bit (in big red writing) about commercial posts.

Reply to
Grunff

Firstly let me apologise to the group (excluding DAVE) for the possible offense cause. This was in fact a one of message addressed directly at the group with the sincere hope that it would be of genuine interest. Please be assured that no more "spam" mails will be sent from either myself or the company as we repect the groups wishes (again exclusing DAVE)

DAVE: Obviously you are very aggreived with my simple email. To the extent you have wasted your own valuable time doing a basic reverse lookup of my details (not difficult as i wasnt trying to hide my details as per a spamming agent) and sending me private obusive emails (attempting to spoof them from my own account). Quite frankly im amazed at how much trouble you have gone to, to try and offend me, insult me, and publicise my personal details.

All it would have taken, was a simple professional email address to me direct or on the group saying that the email was considered unsolicted spam, and request i not post similar message again in the future. To which i would have happily concurred.

Reply to
Jim Brett

All it would have taken on your part, Jim, would have been to sample the group (speed-reading a few threads), and in particular to have put in the effort to find the group's FAQ, to work out whether direct commercial postings are welcome/tolerated/dropped-on-from-a-height. You'd have found that this particular group's social norms are strongly against direct advertising: the strength of reaction even to clearly-flagged ads like yours has (as the FAQ says) managed to keep the signal-to-noise ratio in this group unusually high. You might then have chosen either to forget using this group to advertise in (we're obviously a bunch of lentil-eating anti-capitalist tossers who don't understand that buying and selling is what makes the world go round), or to lurk quietly for a bit, chiming in when home automation questions came up[1], adding a one-line sig with your company URL, and letting the usefulness of your contributions be all the company advertising you need here. (Like Max Bone, Hepworths, cetltd, and a good few others do. Even - and I can't quite believe I'm writing this - the once-notorious Robert L Bass appears to have learnt to do in comp.home.automation, where Google tells me you posted a similar a week ago).

Yes, it's a non-trivial bit of effort on your part. Still, you're the one who's hoping to drum up some business, and you're hoping to target your potential market much more accurately than putting stickers on the lampposts round about where you live and work. Moreover, whatever the level of your previous experience and competence, for now *you're* the newcomer in this group, so normal social mores ("when in Rome"...) suggest you should listen-and-adapt rather than assume a particular style of behaviour.

Having apparently not bothered to do this preparation, you've been jumped on with varying degrees of politeness. You're still welcome to adopt the constructive-engagement strategy outlined above, though it might be a practical idea to leave it for a few weeks till both you and the participants here have allowed the first wisps of the mists of time to shroud the little flare-up we just had...

HTH, Stefek

[1] If, after a few week's lurking, no HA questions appear[ed], that would suggest this particular group would not be worth posting an ad in, anyway, let alone constructively engaging...
Reply to
stefek.zaba

No offence taken by me - advertising is not prohibited in the charter of uk.d-i-y, in fact there isn't one for this group. Commercial adverts are, though, deprecated in the FAQ, however this is just that - a FAQ, concocted by unelected and unaccountable people (this, it might be said, is because most people don't want to be bothered maintaining a FAQ!). There is a way to "acceptably" commercially advertise on uk.d-i-y, which acceptance I personally find rather two-faced.

Fine, fine - perhaps you could advise on some d-i-y matters yourself, and commercially advertise yourself at the same time, as some others do?

If this dong *has* sent anything such as you suggest, you are quite within your rights to complain to *his* ISP or employer, and I would, if I were you. However, oil on troubled waters is probably better than feeding the furnace. Hopefully you will receive an apology. --

be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

In message , Jim Brett writes

So many Daves but I'll raise my trembling hands up to doing this. I posted the spammer (indeed putting the From and Reply-To as himself and making no attempt to hide my identity) an email as follows:

I find it difficult to match that with 'hurling insults and swearing" but still, in the world of spammers (of whom snipped-for-privacy@autom8it.com is but an example, perhaps I should have emailed snipped-for-privacy@yellowmelon.com and snipped-for-privacy@AutoM8it.com as well) any hints of reality are likely to be confused.

Reply to
ignored

In message , Jim Brett writes

Usenet email

ah, not me but someone more eminent ;-)

the only language spammers such as those at snipped-for-privacy@autom8it.com understand

you shouldn't have done so in the first place

that's what all spammers say

Reply to
ignored

I thought part of the raison d'etre of spammers was specifically to collect valid email addresses to sell onto other spammers.....

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

I'm sorry; I didn't know you owned windose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

How d'you like your SPAM. You can 'ave Spam with chips. You can 'ave your spam with spam, or you can 'ave it wiff even more chips. :-))

SPAM is normally defined as unsolicited advertising e-mail which is created to gain the sender profits from selling wares or services for personal gain. The law now states that such e-mail must only be sent to persons who have asked for such mailings to be sent to there personal e-mail service for their perusal.

That's why most software is packaged with the option to "Opt In" to the makers offer of sending you information of other products which might be of interest to.

Reply to
BigWallop

Oh David. That's naughty and not as harsh as it should have been.

Reply to
BigWallop

All im actually saying is theres no need for swearing and insults and the childish behavour. If everyone in the world took this attitude we would get nowhere.

I have admitted it was a mistake to post and have apologised. I would like to see any true "spammer" do the same?

Reply to
Jim Brett

If your market research had gone to plan, you do have a marketing plan don't you, you would have noticed that the group is for people helping other people with a job they would like to tackle themselves. Hence the title having DIY in it.

Now, if you have some expertise which you can share with others, then you are welcome to contribute to the groups activities, but not to tell them you'll come round and do the job for them at a price. The point of the group is to pass on tips and hints on what to and not to do while tackling a specific personal project.

Reply to
BigWallop