ADSL works but phone dead - mechanism?

We had the same problem a couple of months ago - ADSL worked fine (I didn't actually check data rates but there was no slowdown evident) but there was no voice service. The phone would ring on incoming calls, but no connection and no dial tone. Not sure if the GF was more annoyed at the loss of the voice service or the lack of loss of the ADSL service :-)

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

In article , Grunff writes

Standard advice in uk.telecom in situations of this sort is to contact Ben Verwaayen's office by email. A google groups search will get you the address.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Now that is the sort of broadband I would like - just under a Tbit all to myself ;-)

(I spose you mean 960kbit... oh well)

Reply to
John Rumm

D'oh!!

Reply to
Grunff

ISTR something about being able to claim actual losses, if you can reasonably prove those losses...

2v on the line, with nothing off hook, is wrong it should be around 50v.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Does that actually achieve anything? I receive many, many apologies, from a whole bunch of different people at BT - but they are totally meaningless unless backed by some action.

Reply to
Grunff

The trick is to make fixing your problem less hassle than having you keep rattling cages. I rarely go 'up the chain of command' more than one step before 'phoning head office and asking for the MD.

On one occassion I contacted the US main office of a 'white goods' maker as it was after hours in the UK. European MD rang me that evening (from Italy) and appliance was fixed the next day, at a time convenient to me. I also got a free extended warranty on the fridge until I had a fault free year!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Difficult - the reason we have so many lines is because we really can't afford to have any downtime - so the worst it's been so far is down to one single line, but even that's good enough for two of us to work off. So no 'losses' apart from the many hours spent on the phone to BT (now that probably comes to several thousand pounds; but that's a different story).

Yeah, that was at the master socket with everything disconnected.

Reply to
Grunff

After Parcel Force lost a computer I'd sent to my brother, they pulled every single delaying trick in the book to avoid paying up. One letter direct to the MD got a full settlement of my claim instantly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

According to several posters in uk.telecom, yes. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Great! I wasn't questioning your suggestion - it sounds reasonable enough - I was just asking whether you knew how effective it might be. I think I'll deffinitely give it a try, thanks.

Reply to
Grunff

Its shagged. Should be about 90V. At about 10mA short circuit IIRC.

It may be that its disconnected from the baseband kit at the far end.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nominally 50V.

The ringing voltage is somewhere around 90V at a frequency of 25Hz.

Frank Erskine MJBC, OETKBC

Reply to
Frank Erskine

At the very low radio frequencies used by ADSL (~30 - ~500 kHz, AIUI) the signal attenuation involved in 'jumping the gap' in a broken wire will be huge[1]. What's far more likely to be happening is that the stray capacitance of the o/c wire (on the subscriber's side of the break) to earth, or, more particularly, to all the other pairs in a multi-pair cable, is providing a 'return' connection.

Well someone needs to point out that a one-wire connection still depends on the flow of electric current ;-) How do you think aerials work?

[1] The ADSL modem in my roota usually claims an SNR margin of around 30 dB, so clearly there is a lot of margin in the system. Capacitive coupling across the gap in a broken wire at these frequencies though is going to introduce probably 60+ dB of attenuation - so that isn't the answer...
Reply to
Andy Wade

Getting up to 8Mbps through the system with 30dB noise margin took years of design effort and years arguing in standards forums about what the best method was. If you think of it another way, with 0dB margin it is difficult to get much through at all.

Reply to
Mike

Right. Its been some time...you R right and I was wrong.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ISDN lines should be 90-100V.

Reply to
Grunff

Funny. I had 17 Hz in my mind. Wonder where that came from?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But this must be a POTS line as ADSL can't co-habit with ISDN (according to BT).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Donno, but ringing frequency varies greatly around the world, quick dig on the net gave 17Hz to 68hz... However the BT SIN says 25Hz +1Hz

-5Hz:

Dave Liquorice