Adjusting old upvc "flag" hinges - a lost cause?

Hi,

I replaced old, split, upvc flipper gasket on a upvc door with type R6346X. The gasket fitted in the groove in the door and frame with some effort. No w when I close the door there is quite a bit of resistance and I have the p ull the door hard before I can close then lock the door. ( I had earlier bo ught and fitted gasket R6381X but with this I couldn't close the door at al l).

I have read the "flag" hinges on the door are "slightly" adjustable in thr ee directions, obviously I would like the door to move a couple of millimet ers away from the frame. I think (am guessing) the adjuster underneath the hinge is for door height, the one on the side of the hinge is for "lateral" movement and the one on top (which I am trying to adjust) is for the dista nce of the door from the frame. I have taken off the plastic cap on top of the hinge and of course the adjusting bolt is surrounded by muck (see image link below). I have a full range of Allen keys and I have one that fits re ally well in the head of the bolt. However, when I try to turn the Allen ke y in the bolt I can see the bolt isn't moving and I can feel the Allen key start to slip in the hexagonal socket in the bolt within the hinge. It almo st feels as if the head of the bolt in the hinge is made of plastic, not me tal. I don't want to strip the head of the bolt. Is there a "trick" to get the bolt to move and hence adjust the hinge or do these bolts just become i mpossible to adjust over time?

Thanks,

Clive

ring

Reply to
clive.r.long

I think that the 2 oval white shapes on top of the Allen screw, are locking pins which are stopping the hinge from moving. The outer part of the hinge has 4 vertical grooves, and the allen screw has 9 grooves, which gives 36 different locking positions. You needn to pull out the locking pins whereup on the Allen screw will be free to turn. Make sure to put the locking pins back in once you are satisfied with the adjustment. It might help, when pul ling the pins, to use the Allen key to wiggle the hinge pin back and forth.

HTH!

Reply to
stvlcnc43

ng pins which are stopping the hinge from moving. The outer part of the hin ge has 4 vertical grooves, and the allen screw has 9 grooves, which gives 3

6 different locking positions. You needn to pull out the locking pins where upon the Allen screw will be free to turn. Make sure to put the locking pin s back in once you are satisfied with the adjustment. It might help, when p ulling the pins, to use the Allen key to wiggle the hinge pin back and fort h.

Aha! That makes complete sense. I was wondering what those white pins were

- For locking after adjusting seems obvious now. I will try to remove and a djust them next weekend.

Any idea where I can buy the "caps" that go on top of the hinge to protect the bolt or what they are called so I can do a google search? All the exter nal caps are either manky or lost on my hinges.

Clive

Reply to
clive.r.long

ng pins which are stopping the hinge from moving. The outer part of the hin ge has 4 vertical grooves, and the allen screw has 9 grooves, which gives 3

6 different locking positions. You need to pull out the locking pins whereu pon the Allen screw will be free to turn. Make sure to put the locking pins back in once you are satisfied with the adjustment. It might help, when pu lling the pins, to use the Allen key to wiggle the hinge pin back and forth .

Ok, the locking pins came out relatively easily using pliers. However, the nut which seems to be made of plastic does not budge. A good fitting Allen key can be felt to be slipping in the hex hole in the head of the bolt in t he hinge. I guess any more force and I will strip the head of the bolt. I g uess the bolt has all seized up and will be difficult to budge. Maybe I wil l call for some "professional" help - wherever I can find someone who actua lly knows what they are doing rather than someone who will be able to bugge r up the hinge - something I am quite capable of doing myself.

Clive

Reply to
clive.r.long

Is there a grub screw on the side of the hinge? If so, loosen it.

Reply to
stvlcnc43