Adjacent wallbox positioning and steel/chrome sockets query

Got a bit of a problem with the positioning some of the wall boxes in the kitchen. I got a very good electrician who set the wall boxes such that there would be no gaps between adjacent sockets. The problem is that he spaced the wall boxes for standard white fittings (around 1 inch to 1

1/8 inches between screw holes of neighbouring wallboxes). I neglected to tell him that I was interested in steel or chrome wall plates and he has since told me that they will not fit as they have a slightly larger outer dimension. Is he right about this or are there some products out there that would work? If the worst come to the worst, I'll move the wallboxes to suit but would prefer not to.

TIA Sean

Reply to
Sean

'Standard' would be 1" between fixings - this is what you get on a twin box

Just measured my Crabtree chrome ones and they're identical to MK plastic.

I'm not saying some won't be bigger, but I'd say the majority will be the same. There's no reason for them to be wider, given that the outer part of the plate merely bears on the plaster.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 21 Nov 2004 04:16:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Sean) strung together this:

Depends, there's no set 'overlap'. Different makes have different size plates, in plastic or metal versions. In general, metal fittings are slightly larger than moulded, but it does depend which ones they are. Probably best to get the fittings and check rather than any of us making a random stab in the dark.

Reply to
Lurch

neglected

He is right and it can be a PITA. Especially if "dual" boxes have been used for adjacent single gang fittings. You can only fit the white everyday fittings on these.

You will have to reposition the wall boxes.

Reply to
richard

"richard" wrote | He is right and it can be a PITA. Especially if "dual" boxes have | been used for adjacent single gang fittings. You can only fit the | white everyday fittings on these. | You will have to reposition the wall boxes.

Depends on the faceplates. If they're the domed ones, yes, but if they are the flat plate style quite popular now, I wonder if it would be possible to file down the meeting edges of the faceplates enough so they make a butt joint. Not sure how great it would look though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain