Adhesives & Picture Rails

I need to put up some picture rails quickly and I intend to glue them up.

Looking in Screwfix they have Gripfill Max and Gripfill 'Normal' which is half the price of the Max version.

If the more expensive one helps me to do the job more quickly/easily, I'll get it. Any recommedations?

TIA

Reply to
elziko

Beware if you have curved walls - then you're in trouble trying to get picture rails to stick all the way along their length.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Oh, also I've never really used these adhesives before - would one tube be able to do about 16m of picture rail? Or will I need to buy more? I really have no feel for this!

TIA

Reply to
elziko

They are straight-ish I'd guess a max of +/- 3mm, so I though I'd leave gaps and fill once its stuck down.

Reply to
elziko

"elziko" wrote

I have used a few of these different products Pink Grip, Grabs Like Nails come to mind, but the only one I will use in future is "No More Nails". Grabs well but not instant so you can move the item a bit to fine tune position. In coolish conditions, gives you just the right amount of time to apply the stuff, fit the rail and locate accurately. Don't dither about though to be safe. As others have said it will not hold well enough if either the rail or wall are well off straight. Have found N_M_N on offer in local Boyes shop, otherwise it is one of the dearer ones.

Would be inclined to put two smaller beads of adhesive on rather than one big one. Check the tube for the coverage claimed.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

IME none of this stuff works well without enough thickness of bead to get a bit of suction going. I'd squirt 5mm min down the centre of the rail

Reply to
Stuart Noble