Adhesive for chopping board

I am making a few small chopping boards out of some beech offcuts I have knocking about, question is, what adhesive to use? I have a cartridge of PU, marked as waterproof, or would Cascamite be better. The boards will obviously need to be washable. Dishwasher does not come into the equation! Thoughts and suggestions welcome as always. Johno

Reply to
johno

Order I was taught was cascamite/polyurethane/epoxy in terms of increasing strength and resistance to moisture - and good/true faces and high clamping pressure.

Reply to
dom

OK, thats interesting. I had not considered epoxy. Suppose I could use Araldite? Boards are only small, each being about 8" x 5" made up of five 1" square pieces. These have been requested by SWMBO and her children as being ideal for chopping the odd bit of garlic etc :-) Machined square, very true, clamping not a problem. Thanks for feedback

Reply to
johno

Epoxy is about the most durable wood glue there is, and is relatively foodsafe. Its liable to fail under heat though, so should be fine for handwash, but not necessarily dishwashing.

NT

Reply to
NT

In message , johno writes

Be a good thing to rebate the ends and fit tie strips.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I repaired a laminated beechwiood one with epoxy. I did as per my usual stove it afterwards when cramped up at about 90C..

Its still together.

Cant say we ever dish washed it tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rebate as opposed to groove? Rebate both sides? Tie strips simply glued in place I presume. Sounds like a sensible idea.

Reply to
johno

As mentioned in original post, dishwasher does not come into the equation, I am the dishwasher!

Reply to
johno

I rate Cascamite highly, but not for applications where it comes into much contact with the skin, and so certainly not for this sort of use. It's potentially quite an irritant IIRC.

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Modern way would be biscuits, but doubt it needs extra strength.

Reply to
dom

All hand or hand power tools. As the stock is only 1" x 1" x 8" I am not talking about anything substantial! These boards are handy for the odd, small item. Not sure if tie strips are overkill though. First one glued up last night with araldite, seems fine and dandy :-)

Reply to
johno

I regularly make chopping boards for various family members and only ever use waterproof pva glue. Occasionally a join may open but that's no big problem just re-glue and re cramp it. Good as new.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred