adding sockets on radial circuit

Hello,

Radial circuit on 20 amp MCB which in France allows up to 8 sockets.

I want to add 3 sockets #before# the present ones in a bedroom, but that would make 9 on that circuit. I was thinking of a blanking plate over one of the present sockets, but would it be all right to join the wires behind the plate, or should it be replace with new ?

John

Reply to
JTM

I would just add what you want even if the total is 9. The French are not known for their total adherence to regulation. The MCB is protecting the cable and will trip if the total load is too much.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I wouldn't necessarily argue with the above!; but your proposal sounds fine (unless there's some French reason why it's not allowed...) Certainly if it was wanting to blank off a socket in the UK that's exactly what I'd do - join the wires by crimping or using an appropriately rated choc-box-style connector.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That would seem to be a heuristic thing rather than a safety related one

- i.e more sockets are likely to result in nuisance trips due to overload. I can't see the safety of the circuit being compromised assuming the MCB is correctly sized to protect the cable[1].

I am not aware of what the French regulatory requirements are, but it would seem logical that you could join the cables at a socket or at a suitable junction (disguised under a blanking plate of you so choose). Personally I would just extend the circuit to 9 sockets if you know that the overall circuit loading will still remain within acceptable limits.

[1] Limits that specify maximum cable length (e.g for voltage drop reasons), or maximum earth loop impedances seem eminently sensible to achieve correct operation of protective devices and adequate performance of appliances. Limits as to the number of sockets seem more like "practical guidance" - much as our own for maximum floor areas to be served by a circuit.
Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for the views,

I'll probably just add the extra socket, as its for the computer set-up and I just wanted something neater than 3 or

4 extension leads for the periferals, :-)
Reply to
JTM

Ooops! How did that happen? John

Reply to