Adding obscurity

I assume that it's possible to obtain plastic film that will add a degree of obscurity to plain glass. But where can you get it, how much does it cost, how well does it work, and can it be easily removed and re-applied?

Anyone know?

Reply to
John Cartmell

You're thinking of transluscent vinyl that gives the effect of etched glass?

Available from sign makers suppliers - just ask for frosted effect vinyl. It's not expensive. It works very well and is available in a number of shades to give different effects. It can be easily removed but once removed cannot be easily re-used.

Reply to
shaun

Google frosted window film or privacy window film

Reply to
Rob Morley

Halfords

Haven't used any of them but intend to one day when my tuits are circular enough...

David

Reply to
Lobster

This any good?

DIY sell it.

can take it off but I doubt if it would go back on the same.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Thanks everybody. I am looking for a solution that doesn't include any form of adhesive - ie where the plastic film attaches to the glass simply because there are two flat, clean surfaces. It does need to be removable & replaceable as I'd go mad working in a room that I couldn't see out of - but want the obscure effect for when I'm not there.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Like, say, a translucent lightweight fabric, that you could hang on some mechanism that enabled it to be pushed to one side, or pulled across the window. Damn, someone's already thought of net curtains. Surprisingly effective.

Reply to
Autolycus

How often? I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything which will survive regular removal and replacement (unless you mean remove and trash, then replace with new; but that would be v expensive).

How about fixing (in effect) secondary double-glazing panels made of smoked acrylic or something, that you can affix/remove? Or net curtains(!?) ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Terribly out of fashion - but how about a net curtain?

Reply to
Nick Atty

Hammer a few nails into the window frame and hang a few supermarket carrier bags in strategic spots.

Alternatively for a plastic and nail free solution leave a kettle boiling in the room and hope that the window gets covered in condensation

Handy hints from the VIZ DIY team ;-)

How about a semi transparent roller blind?

Or a secondary/tertiary glazing frame with frosted acrylic attached by velcro or magnetic strip.

Reply to
Matt

IN fashion are muslin drapes.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I am looking for something that I can stick to the outside of the glass for the same reason. There is not much of a problem with some one peeling it off, as it is on a school classroom outside door window. Once again, it has to go on the outside, as it should provide some sort of heat blanket from the sun that shines on this door.

Dave

Who is not sure how well Fablon works in the real world of outside :-)

Reply to
Dave

If you have deep pockets (and believe me, you'd need them) you could use smart glass.

A quick google turned up

as a USA supplier. I have a colleague who sells the stuff in the UK.

Reply to
shaun

I'd say you need to make up some form of clip in perspex - or similar - frosted panels. Any thin frosted sheet wouldn't survive re-use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think they're only in fashion if you call them voiles :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Would a slatted (venetian or vertical) blind be too expensive or too much trouble? It sounds like it will do everything you want.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

A (recycled) vertical blind was on the planning sheet but my daughter has decided that she'd like them to remain where they are in her new room (my ex-office) and I've already spent my budget.

Reply to
John Cartmell

do them at a pretty reasonable price... and don't underestimate the cost of the obscure film you were originally asking about, cos that ain't cheap (and even less so if you want to keep pulling it on and off!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Easy. Shower curtain.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I do like people who can think outside the box! Thanks. ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell