Adding a pump overrun

With a *proper* heating/hot water system, the pump will run anyway when heating the water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The root problem here is nothing to do with needing an _overrun_ on the pump we need the pump to _run_ when the boiler is on, that is how older low-tech boilers work.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Which is the bog standard way of doing things for this type of installation.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

So why has the boiler got that problem in the first place?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

replying to Ed Sirett, swoopdave wrote: What keeps the 3 way valve open to the rads while its over running?

Reply to
swoopdave

This must be a record for homeownershub - a question posted 14 years ago

Reply to
alan_m

I presume this is reply to a very ancient post since Ed has not posted hear for ages. However you will probably find what you need here:

John Rumm

harry

I don't really think he needs a reply 14 years later. FWIW a fan timer is c heaper.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Why does it matter which way it's open during overrunning?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If its open to the DHW, and that is already satisfied, you won't dump much additional heat from the primary circuit into the cylinder - and will lose more out of the flue than you would expect if overruning through the rads.

Reply to
John Rumm

And if it dumps it to the CH, and all the rads have TRVs which are closed, it won't have anywhere at all to go.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Wouldn't that have been happening before the boiler turned off?

Reply to
Fredxxx

The boiler would probably cycle off on its own stat in the circumstance.

Just one of those cases of not being able to win em all!

Reply to
John Rumm

Thought it wasn't recommended to have TRVs on every rad?

I have none in the living room and that's where the main temperature sensor is. Every other rad has a TRV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its isn't generally - although you do find some systems that have no main stat and have all TRVs.

(Some systems have a bypass to ensure there is always an available path for flow, and some modern boilers include an internal one (as does my Vaillant for example)).

Yup, similar arrangement here - although I have a second zone upstairs where all the rads have TRVs, you get enough heat leakage into the landing (where the zone stat is) from downstairs to satisfy that stat anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

replying to IMM, john coen wrote: have to be careful sending an unprogrammed live feed back through to other stat, Stats are tempermental

Reply to
john coen

Did they have pump overruns in 2003?

Given the OP (ARW) is an electrician you might think he knows this and a lot more besides.

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes - long before that. My c1990 Baxi Solo (still going strong!) has one. They came in with the physically smaller boilers with aluminium heat exchangers - designed for fully pumped systems - whose residual heat could cause them to overheat if the flow stopped immediately when the flame was cut.

Having said that, the over-run logic on my boiler is somewhat flawed - and there are some circumstances which can still result in an overheat trip - so I have added a timer as well.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I did add the comment with tongue firmly in cheek!

I recall fitting a boiler 20 years ago which in my opinion had the overrun timer set for far too long.

Reply to
Fredxxx