Adding a network socket

Hello DIY'ers

Perhaps off-topic for this group, sorry if it is, but I can't find a better one!

We need an extra CAT5 socket in an office. Have added extra ones before, so tools and the networking know-how is not a problem.

Now, to where we want the socket to go, there is trunking going all the way from the network cabinet already. This trunking has no CAT5 in it, it contains standard 2.5 mains cable. Is it legal to put a length of CAT5 in the trunking along with the mains cable, and tap it out where we need the CAT5 socket? The trunking is 16mm x 25mm, there's plenty space to put CAT5 in there.

I realise it being sited right next to mains cable may have an adverse effect on speed, but this aside, is it an option?

Thanks everyone.

Reply to
Den Phillips

No, you can't do that. Unless there is a physical barrier between the cables, OR there is a separation of at least (25 or 50mm, think it's

50), OR both cables are insulated to mains levels (which the cat5 won't be).

I guess (shock horror) you could put some mains grade flexible trunking into the existing trunking and put the cat 5 in that...a pure bodge. I'll get shouted at now...

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Bob Eager writes

As said your not supposed to do it but CAT5 signals are very robust and we've bundled them in with other cables including mains ones with never a problem.

Why the cat 5 needs to be insulated to mains levels beats me, its not as if the mains wires are going to be bare is it?......

Reply to
tony sayer

Or just put in a new bit of trunking adjacent to the existing one? Its not that expensive from a electrical wholesaler. I get it for £1.20 a 3m length (oh errrr)

Reply to
SantaUK

I accept what you say - but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me! As long as the mains cable is insulated to mains standards, why does it matter about the CAT5? Surely that could be bare wire from an electrical safety point of view?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Where do you get it for that price out of interest?

The last time I bought some (City Electrical Factors), I remember it being twice that for 16x25.

Reply to
Den Phillips

This is what made me wonder. As another poster has pointed out, the CAT5 could be bare wire from an electrical point of view.. The mains cable is already shielded as necessary.

However I'm just interested in keeping the whole set-up legal. If it's the case we need to use new trunking, that's fine. But for ease of installation and aesthetics, using the existing trunking would be ideal.

I've just thought about when the building had an extension added. The contractors who did the cabling put mains/network and phone cables through a gap (about 10cm sqd) all lumped in together (These are people who I thought would have to follow the letter of the law). Is this a different situation (because it's not trunking, and there's no chances of the ends meeting) or have they done something illegal here?

Anyone have any URL's that may refer to this sort of thing?

Reply to
Den Phillips

Yours is not to reason why........................................

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

You asked about the legalities - them's the legalities! I guess it's belt and braces in case one lot of insulation fails. One could imagine a kinked, overloaded sheathed mains cable just possibly poking out a loop of hot, uninsulated wire...

Incidentally, my solution is actually mentioned as such in the regs. So is enclosing the mains cable in an earthed metallic sheath, and of course the uprated insulation also works. Regs: 411-02-06.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If they weren't physically separated, then technically it's illegal.

It's in the regs...try the library. They're not online. The section number I gave previously will take you straight to it.

As I said, if the existing trunking is big enough to take the CAT5 and also a sheath of some sort rated at mains voltage, then that is acceptable.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Edmundson Electrical - but then I do buy a good amount of stuff from them. But yes, last five lengths I bought I got them for £1.20 each. +Vat though!

Reply to
SantaUK

One could imagine a

and whereas main equipment is designed to cope with faulty wiring, computer peripherals aren't, and may have no earths at all. All my PC's are earthed but none of my laptops.

john2

Reply to
john2

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:29:38 +0100 someone who may be "Roger Mills" wrote this:-

Trunking usually contains single cables with a single covering of insulation. Mechanical protection is provided by the trunking. When it was drawn into the trunking this insulation may have been damaged. The core may migrate through the insulation due to thermal effects. Metal trunking may become live in various ways. Having extra low voltage cables in a separate compartment or insulated for low voltage is a sensible precaution.

Reply to
David Hansen

Why not just add a cheap hub/switch ?

Reply to
Tim Morley

Maybe if some of the Scruits in the trunking become unwound ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Another option - CAT5 doublers. These split the pairs to separate sockets, so the original two pairs work as before and the second two pairs form the second circuit (unless you're doing gigabit).

Given that you have the knowhow, why not do the same 'manually'. If the new socket can be adjacent to the old one, change the faceplate to a double one and wire two pairs to each socket. Do the equivalent, in any convenient way, at the cabinet end.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Networks based on cat5 are better protected than most mains. They have isolation transformers rated at 1000V at each end of the cables.

Reply to
dennis

No. They need to be separately insulated. If there is room, put a minitrunk inside the main trunking.

and tap it out where we need the

Won;t affect the speed, may have some interference but unlikely. The regs are IIRC a matter of safety - cables catch fire, cat 5 may go live.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thats my solution.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could be if they overload and melt. Or a surge breaks through the insulation.

Its just the general principle of 'High voltage: Treatment X' 'Low voltage: treatment Y'

Separate the two or the above is nonsense.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher