Adding a fan to a basic welder

I have a basic stick welder (SIP Merlin 150), which I have had for many years, but only use very infrequently (certainly less than once a year on average!)

However, one of the irritations on the rare occasions that I do use it, is its very poor duty cycle. Even on low currents, it will only weld (or for that matter even stay switched on) for a few mins and then needs quite a long period of rest[1].

I was thinking about adding a 240vac fan to its case somewhere to aid cooling etc. Before I spend time and money on it, has anyone done something like this? Did it make much difference?

[1] to put that into context; recent example. The washing line was in danger of falling over - it had the type of mounting spike designed to be pushed into soft ground, but the line itself had rather a short pole. Hence if used as intended, the line would have been about 4'6" off the ground, and that would have been a bit short even for my fairly dinky SWMBO (or as my better third as she is known!)

So, previous house owners had mounted said spike into a dead tree stump. This worked well til the stump rotted and fell over. Attempts to strap to the remains of a fence post in a metspike were only partially successful, and showed signs of imminent failure. So I thought it would be a better idea, to lop the spike off the metpost and weld it directly to the bottom of the line's spike. Anyway, after some fettling with an angle grinder I wanted two 5" welds to do the job. The welder could only hack about 8" of weld before deciding it was too warm to go on. I only used about four or five 2mm electrodes in total IIRC.

Reply to
John Rumm

Have successfully achieved exactly the "Upgrade" you are looking for on a

*very* old SIP 180, (Circa 1985). At each side there are louvers, install a fan each side. One to pull air in, the other to pull air out. I used a couple of 4" 240v cooler fans from a computer rack mount cabinet wired to come on when turning on the mains switch. Works very well. Fleabay for the fans, cheap as chips from anyone getting rid of really old office stuff.

I too have done this to a SIP 180 back in the early eighties.I mounted a blower out of a bingo machine on the outside of the back panel.It meant cutting about a 4" square hole but was worth it.It never tripped out again.Be careful that the fan doesn`t blowe directly on the temperature sensor. SIP actually started producing them with a fan in them called the Turbo.

Reply to
mark

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk scribeth thus

Me too!, welder is now quite old around late 70's but is fine with its retro fitted 4" fan:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Works great. Use an old AC fan (or one from a server rack cooling tray), not a recent brushless 5V or 12V DC fan. Brushless fans seem to sometimes take exception to the electrical noisiness of the welder environment.

Mine uses a pair of 120V fans. Good way to use up these top-quality US- make fans that are only usable in (series) pairs. Most smaller projects only ever need a single.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

Yes, I did exactly that some fifteen years ago and yes, it made a huge difference.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks guys for the responses, I shall go a "turbo" it ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm explained on 11/05/2009 :

I added one to my welder and yes it can make a worthwhile difference, though I never bothered to compare the before and after run times. Even when it does eventually trip, the fan cools it much faster than convection, so it comes back on much quicker.

I used a flat (like a large PC) 5" fan intended for old large main frame computers - you can get them for next to nothing from electronic scrap dealers.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield