Add earth terminal to a metal back box?

Is there an "easy" way of adding an earth/cpc terminal to a metal back box that is already in position on a wall?

I have a situation where there is a single old, metal, back box with four fixed lugs.

The space inside the back box is used to house connector blocks that join two lengths of 2.5mm T&E. All this is covered with a blanking plate secured with two metal screws.

The old metal back box has no cpc connection terminal. It is secured to the wall with large nails where you would hope for screws (making replacing it an unenviable job), but the metal is in good condition.

Reply to
Anode

You could drill a hole in the side of the box and put in a nut and bolt, or, especially if it's buried flush, drill the back and use a self-tapper.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Drill through the side and put a bolt through.

Reply to
Graham.

Yes, as you say, thanks for the idea. If there is nothing special made for this job,I was wondering about using one of the unused lugs; there is a threaded hole there waiting to be used.

Anode

Reply to
Anode

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Anode" saying something like:

Nothing to stop you doing that, if the lug isn't floating.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If you've got a pop riveter, fix a tail of CPC under a pop rivet with washer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thank you all for the ideas, I'll look at the box in question and then decide which method to go for.

Anode.

Reply to
Anode

Just run a CPC from the earth connector block to a blue crimp ring and either use a pop rivet or a self-tapping machine screw with a washer to fix the crimp ring to the back-box. If you're using a pop-rivet, you might want to sandwich a star washer between the lug and the rivet to make sure you get a tight connection.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Crimp an eye terminal on the end of a wire, and screw to the backbox with one of these:

John Rumm

secured to

condition.

Looks more professional if you crimp a suitable sized lug to the cpc then pop rivet the lug.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Extra crimps just mean possible extra problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)