Adaptor needed for basin waste

For my cloakroom refurbishment project, I am installing a counter-top basin and using a 32mm HepVO trap mounted horizontally underneath in order that the waste is easy to conceal under the counter using only a fairly narrow piece of hardwood at the front.

In order to do this, Hepworth supply an 87 degree knuckle adaptor to fit the basin waste and then into one end of the trap,

there is a snag. The basin itself has quite a thick base and when the waste fitting is fully assembled and fitted to it, the projecting male thread of the waste is only approx 10mm.

The nut of the knuckle adaptor which mates with it is quite deep and the effect is that when fully done up the nut bottoms onto the lower part of the waste fitting leaving the knuckle slightly loose and without the O-ring forming a seal.

So the question is whether there exists a fitting that will address the issue or perhaps some other solution. Changing the waste is not an option because it matches the tap.

Ideas so far:

- Carefully cut about 3-4mm from the depth of the nut on the knuckle fitting. The nut is deep enough that this probably would work. Even if I c*ck up the fitting, a replacement is cheap enough.

- Some kind of adaptor that would screw onto the waste but have threaded male and female sections. At the top it could be sealed with PTFE tape. In effect, this would act as an extension to the depth of the waste. I could tolerate a 20-30mm drop of the trap compared with its existing position. However, I don't know the thread type of the basin waste - presmably some imperial thing? Perhaps there is a brass fitting that would do the job. For that matter it could be a knuckle adaptor and replace the HepVO one - needs to have a male thread of the same size in either case.

Undoubtedly someone else has had a similar issue with a waste fitting. Any ideas?

thx

.andy

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have just replaced my w/h basin waste which had a popup plug .That had a piece that was fitted with a female thread at the top where it fitted the basin waste and male at the bottom where the trap fitted on .It does have a side fitting for the popup rod but that could be blocked up in some way . If you want a pic I can send one or load it in Photobucket ....If you want the fitting let me know and I'll send it to you .

Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart

That was the second thought that went through my mind the first was bung a second O ring in. You might need to lok carefully at where a second O ring would seat and if it would become displaced when doing up the nut and if it would be thick enough to do the job anyway.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, just tried that - great minds.. Didn't work because the space inside the fitting where the O ring sits is only just deep enough for one. It was thick enough though, in that the nut no longer bottomed on the fitting. I reckon that if I carefully cut the nut down by about 3mm it would work, so think I'll try that option next.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You might be able to get a shallower backnut for attaching the waste to the basin - some plastic ones are thicker than the metal ones you can get. Might give you just enough room.

auctions

Thanks for the thought. Unfortunately, there is more to the assembly than just a nut - I should have described a bit more..

This one is a push open waste

(picture)

with)
the lower component is part of the mechanics and deeper than a standard waste.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's a good thought - thanks. I think that I might have one of those somewhere, and then just need to come up with a means to block the hole.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'd put the nut/fitting on a flat surface, scribe a line round with a lip and spur drill bit or indelible pen, then sand to the line with a belt sander.

If you put the sander upside down and with a mirror behind it, it should be easy to judge when it's done all round.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

My choice. Use some Fernox LS-X to seal it too - worked a treat on an iffy copper tap connector to plastic thread on a cistern of mine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thank you. Good idea.

In the end I've put the nut of the fitting into a machine table vice and run it through the bandsaw (I happened to have a fine blade in it.)

That's worked a treat and the seal to the waste is continent.....

Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
Andy Hall