(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

I would not be surprised if they delayed the introduction of ammendment again.

But you have a metalcald CU and already meet the new regs.

Reply to
ARW

It's true - but I was wondering...

I will be adding a second CU once the main jobs are done from a 40A distribution circuit for a few low power outside circuits (non of which will add up to much, but desirable to split between 2 RCDs and have the ability to isolate any one). And not crowd the main CU with random crap of low importance. My current CU (Hager JK Type A) is going obsolete, so I was considering the options...

Reply to
Tim Watts

4 tick boxes? [ ] The wire fell out [ ] The wire did not fall out [ ] Some proper welly [ ] I snapped the head off...
Reply to
Tim Watts

And supply a calibration certificate for the torque driver.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

+1

Poacher and game keeper to some extent.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't a lot of CUs use combination slot/cross screws anyway?

Seems a bit odd that presumably the CU manufacturers first introduced them to allow using either a flat driver or Pozi driver, and then the tool manufacturers introduce a dedicated "PlusMinus" driver

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sorry hit send while trying to find a better photo than Wera's own

Reply to
Andy Burns

introduced

So such a tool *is* out there. Use the a flat driver in a +/- head and it suffers the problems of slotted heads. Use a pozi and it's not quite as good as a pure pozi.

Waiting for ts1.mm.bing.net ... Well not quite jpeg 1x1 pixels.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How can a British Standard require a 'non flammable' enclosure without defining what that is, either in the Definitions section or by reference to an applicable British Standard?

Anyway, I thought all terminals already had to be in a non-combustible enclosure so any existing combustible CUs (since about 1970something probably) were already unfit for purpose at the time of sale.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Another who doesn't do much DIY, but just talks about it.

There is no need for Torx for things like a terminal screw - and makes the head considerably larger than needed which can matter with such things. PZ is an excellent compromise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got nothing like your experience, but have repaired quite a few installations for others where the problem was inadequately tightened terminal screws. And done buy a pro - or at least one who claimed to be. So it could be some just don't know how to tighten a screw for whatever reason.

Trouble with any torque setting device is it needs to be correct for the particular application, and checked for calibration frequently. And there's nothing to stop a charlatan using one but not doing things up tight enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and decking screws...

Reply to
John Rumm

Are you sure, all the decking screws I have seen recently are pozi or torx if I buy them.

Reply to
dennis

Plasterboard screws I've got here don't seem to cam out when using a PZ bit - which seems a perfect fit. Just set the max torque on the driver.

Perhaps they would with a Phillips bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or the conductor settled after they left - particularly if there are 2-3 in the terminal (eg ring with spur) or stranded heavy cables.

One of the advantages of DIY of course is one lifts the lid a week or two later and tweaks everything up.

Reply to
Tim Watts

They're designed for Phillips #2, these work nicely, I prefer to set the torque so it doesn't start to bite the paper, then /just/ sink them by hand.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The whole set up would be reliable as the emmisions test during MOT time at a mates garage.

Reply to
ARW

I prefer to use the plasterboard screw bits which have a kind of metal collar with the end of the bit just protruding. Stops the screw going in to far.

e.g.

Reply to
Chris French

I *intended* to include a link to those very bits ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

:-)

I find just letting the driver just drive them in. It probably knackers the bits quicker, as sometimes it cams out. But I usually lose them first anyway....

Reply to
Chris French