Acrylic cut to shape?

Perspex is very easy to work. Obviously cutting it requires the normal skills for such things, but after cutting it can be filed and sanded smooth followed by something like Brasso to give the same finish as the main surface. A bit like paint on a car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It depends on just how professional a finish you want - realising this is a DIY group.

Flame polishing is used in the plastics industry to put a glass smooth finish on the edges

modern sign companies would be able to supply all the materials (even the electrics) and more than likely be able to cut the panels any shape on their cnc router. But there again - it wouldn't be very DIY :)

Neil

Reply to
Slainte

That's OK - I don't smelt my own iron either ;->

The DIY aspect is designing a fitting that does what I want without the cost of some commercial "art deco" fitting which this would probably class as.

Reply to
Tim Watts

A jigsaw will crack it 20 times before youre done. Acrylic is terrible for cracking, either melt cut it or buy spare and score & snap.

a good quality machinable plastic is easily cut with jig saw, and then filed/sanded.

I recently did a job using Makrolon, machined well.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

are Sex bolts the same as a Prince Albert ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

A router with a standard 2 flute bottom cutting TCT bit will give perfectly clean cuts in acrylic.

I've cut out loads of portholes - using a home made tramel - to take fans, cutting the stuff to exact sizes etc in various thicknesses.

I've also cut out fancy shapes using plywood templates - fixed with double sided tape and a guide bush.

michael adams

michael adams

No - no strings attached.

Reply to