Acoustic Trickle Vents?

Having recently moved into a new build apartment, the noise through the trickle vents in the bedroom window is driving me mad. Ironically, the spare bedroom (which faces a railway line) has acoustic vents through the wall rather than trickle vents through the window frames and it is

*much* quieter than the master bed where the trickle vents (even when closed) let in way too much noise from the nearby road and passers by.

I have been trying to find some sort of acoustic trickle vent to replace them with but thus far have only found the DN range from Greenwood

which unfortunately doesn't come in the size I need.

Can anyone suggest any others?

thanks,

David

Reply to
dnwilliams

|Having recently moved into a new build apartment, the noise through the |trickle vents in the bedroom window is driving me mad. Ironically, the |spare bedroom (which faces a railway line) has acoustic vents through |the wall rather than trickle vents through the window frames and it is |*much* quieter than the master bed where the trickle vents (even when |closed) let in way too much noise from the nearby road and passers by. | |I have been trying to find some sort of acoustic trickle vent to |replace them with but thus far have only found the DN range from |Greenwood |

which |unfortunately doesn't come in the size I need. | |Can anyone suggest any others?

Just to mention that ventilation without transmitting noise *can* be done. I was once involved with a 1 ft sq ventilation duct built like a car or gun silencer

It reduced the noise level from well over 100db inside to maybe 50db outside, a public space. Hate to think how much that cost.

Maybe a large bore gun silencer would work, or I found this

would probably work, if made out of durable materials.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Fill 'em up with squirty foam, and just remember to open the window for a few minutes every morning to let the bed air.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thought of that one already but I'd like a less severe solution! I tried filling them with normal foam and it helped a bit- maybe I just need better quality.

Surely there must be something on the market other than greenland for this!

thanks

DNW

Reply to
dnwilliams

but I'd like a less severe solution! I

I will be speccing some windows soon for a new extension. Is it true that if I have windows that can be locked slightly open, then I don't have to have these type of trickle vents, that let noise through ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

but I'd like a less severe solution! I

I believe so. The windows I've had fitted recently are certainly like this.

Reply to
Huge

| | |On 25 Jan, 12:52, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: |> >.Fill 'em up with squirty foam, and just remember to open the window for |> > a few minutes every morning to let the bed air.Thought of that one already but I'd like a less severe solution! I |> tried filling them with normal foam and it helped a bit- maybe I just |> need better quality. |>

|> Surely there must be something on the market other than greenland for |> this! |>

|> thanks |>

|> DNW | |I will be speccing some windows soon for a new extension. |Is it true that if I have windows that can be locked slightly open, |then I don't have to have these type of trickle vents, that let noise |through ?

Yes! Normal double glazed windows have the *facility* to be locked totally closed or slightly open. IMO much better than trickle vents.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'm not so sure. ISTM that on ground floor windows locked slightly open is akin to a notice saying "insert crowbar here".

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Doesn't this change shortly (April??)(for new builds at least), requiring trickle vents.

Reply to
<me9

so sure. ISTM that on ground floor windows locked slightly open

I agree, not the best for security. But the point is just to get the BCO satisified with the required area of trickle ventilation per window without a huge air brick in the wall. If I want ventilation in reality I am must more likely to open a single high-up window that go round opening all the windows to the vent position ! One of the advantages of double glazing (although not optimized for this) is sound insulation. So the "hole in frame" types of vents are not for me. Plus they make PVCu windows even more ugly. Cheers all, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I would've thought it'd be just as easy getting a crowbar underneath even a closed UPVC window frame - they're not the stiffest of structures and indeed what with the rubber sealing strips there's probably enough of an available gap to get the bar into without causing distortion anyway.

I'm sure one of the main reasons behind multi-point locks on UPVC doors/windows is simply because without them the structure as a whole would be trivially easy to get into.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

but I'd like a less severe solution! I

Ah well..I was advised yes, BCO number one said 'OK upstairs but security dwnstairs may be an issue' BCO no 2 said 'illegal'

Haven't fought that one put with him yet..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

so sure. ISTM that on ground floor windows locked slightly open

OTOH once the BCO has effed off, an airbrick is easy enough to get rid of..vents in windows are not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I do not believe there is or ever will be any requiremnt for tfkle bvents IN WINDOWS, per se.

The requirement is for secure background ventilation.

You can have a 4" stove pipe to the roof as far as I can tell, and it counts..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

|On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:52:16 +0000 Dave Fawthrop wrote : |> Yes! Normal double glazed windows have the *facility* to be locked |> totally closed or slightly open. IMO much better than trickle vents. | |I'm not so sure. ISTM that on ground floor windows locked slightly open |is akin to a notice saying "insert crowbar here".

A crowbar used on mine will *not* gain entry to the house. Six locking points into steel tube reinforcements in the frame. The window itself also has steel tube reinforcement

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

already but I'd like a less severe solution! I

That's what we had in our last place. Much better than trickle vents from a noise point of view, also give you more ventilation when "open". Not so good for security though, unless on an extremely small, high up window and you lock them and any other opening panes with a key.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

On some models the properly locked position is metal-on-metal, the draught position is metal-on-plastic.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

|Mathew Newton wrote: |> I would've thought it'd be just as easy getting a crowbar underneath |> even a closed UPVC window frame - they're not the stiffest of |> structures and indeed what with the rubber sealing strips there's |> probably enough of an available gap to get the bar into without causing |> distortion anyway. | |On some models the properly locked position is metal-on-metal, the |draught position is metal-on-plastic.

On my windows the draught position locking is metal on metal, with the same strength as the fully locked position. Which was an important point in the choice.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop