Accurate bathroom scales

Indeed. I have vari-focals but the reading bit is now plain glass (increasing age). VDU (job) is a pain as I take them off and sit too close to the screen. Really need some vdu specs. Can see the world but not identify people approaching until they are close without specs. Always take off to read but need varifocals for quick glance at things. Display on scales about 25mm high (in new money) - 1" to you.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Lane saying something like:

The way I see it, if you're losing weight you'd be losing it fairly steadily over months, whereas the daily variation can be a half-pound or more. More to the point, if the scale is reasonably accurate it will indicate over a longer time scale all the information you really need, so no need for +/- 50g accuracy.

Cheapy Salter scales are fine for me; they're accurate enough once tested and zeroed against my GP's scales.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Anita Palley saying something like:

Who the hell are you?

Don't mention it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Clive George" saying something like:

I think that's rather personal, don't you?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

10kg? You got what you paid for.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Don't diss my scales - you can persuade them to read what you want with a deft kick

the actual variation is about +/- 0.5 kg

Reply to
geoff

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:53:05 GMT, geoff had this to say:

A few weeks ago I made a foolish judgement in buying a set of Salter (kitchen) scales. Although I know some of you disagree with imperial measurements I bought the scales because the enclosed leaflet said that the scales defaulted to lb/ozs. As it happens they default to gm. I spoke to Salter about this (after a few ignored emails) and they said that the leaflet had been wrong.

When measuring the weight of items the scales switch themselves off at the most inopportune of moments (for example if you go for another bag of flour to get a particular weight).

However the worst thing is that I, for example, weighed a bit of cheese, aiming for 3 oz. I weighed a piece and it indicated 3·3 oz. I chopped a bit off and reweighed it when it indicated 3·5 oz...

I really think that Salter are living on their past reputation, a bit like Bush or Roberts for radios, while their 'products' are just cheap Chinese junk.

I did mutter to Salter about Trading Standards, but they didn't seem bothered at all. In view of the low cost (about 14 ukp) of the scales I frankly couldn't be arsed to pursue the matter any more.

What I would like is a set of dual-rate mechanical scales, to give a reasonable resolution at low levels, say ¼ oz, while still capable of measuring around 1 lb. Does anybody produce such a thing? I'm afraid that most 'digital' ones will use the same strain gauge technology as Salter do...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Decent balance and weights :-)

(has the advantage you can weigh the other ingredients of your victoria sponge against the eggs)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

In message , Frank Erskine writes

I rushed to check the kitchen scales which have followed us from house to house over 25 years or so.

Wall hung, simple spring mechanism, 0-3kg with dual imperial scale, cam lever for zero adjustment, pan folds away when not in use.....

Accuracy unknown and needles slow to settle as there is no damping...

Made by? Unknown! All it says is *made in Denmark:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I made the mistake of buying some Tefal bathroom scales. They were the only ones in the shop and it said large digital readout, so they seemed like a good idea at the time.

The trouble is some idiot has put a computer in them, so when I get on them it is more interested in harassing me to store my weight by pushing one of it's memory buttons or in telling me the difference in weight between me and my wife. They have come very close to going into the dustbin. All I want to know is my weight FFS not all this extra crap.

Technology for technology's sake. It drives me up the wall. I couldn't get into a half empty car park recently because the computer controlled barrier system said it was "FULL". It looked like the technology counted the number of cars in and out and wouldn't let anyone else in if it thought the car park was full. However, a bollard was missing on part of the perimeter of the car park so people were sneaking out without paying, leaving the "count" incorrect.

Reply to
David in Normandy