Accounts Packages

Hi

Can anyone recommend a PC based accounts package for the self employed?

Looking for simple. I don't carry any stock to speak of, customer buys it, I fit it. I don't employ anyone, I don't have any cash flow issues (payment at completion of job).

Just want to keep track of ingoings & outgoings for the tax man & keep an eye on the business.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hi Dave,

Have a look at Dosh Cashbook -

very simple to use, powerful enough for what you need and good price.

Or Quickbooks SimpleStart -

't consider Sage - way too complex.

Cheers - ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

microsoft money is quite simple, you can get a copy from here:

is a small buisness edition on that page, you will of course need to buy it if you like it, he he he.

and you will need a torrent client, if you don't know what this means the mail me and i will sort it for you!

Reply to
Gav

I use Smart Accounts, have for years. It's superb - even I (who am innumerate) can work it! I enter what's come in and what goes out. There are sophisticated variations but they're not needed - although I enjoy using some of them.

's even better, there's a real person to ask questions of, he always responds immediately and answers queries.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There was a review of such software in a recent (April, I think) edition of PC Plus magazine - there are probably still some in the shops.

However, you can do most - probably all - of what you need to do by just using a spreadsheet ptogram such as Excel. This is also covered in the same magazine.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Are you sure you really want to do this on a PC?

I'm self-employed on a similarly scaled business. I have an IT background but don't do my accounts electronically. I allow my receipts to pile up for a week or two, then write them up into an accounts book (check out what's in the stationers to find a format you like). Then file all my receipts by date. Never had an Inland Revenue check-up, but I'm sure I could lay my hands on any receipt quickly (I also write reminders on the back of the occasional ambiguous one).

Sometimes it's convenient to carry the accounts book with me and do the entries on the road. Worst case if the book was lost/stolen is reconstructing from the receipts file at home - that's about the only area of significant advantage of electronicc accounts for a very small scale biz (adding up the odd column of figures is seconds compared with the time to organise and write up (or key in) paper receipts).

I do submit my tax return electronically and very happy with the process, but the data entry is much smaller. Have you been on any of the Inland Revenue courses on self-employed record keeping? I found them pragmatic and helpful (and free).

Reply to
dom

I find an Excel spreadsheet as good as anything for simple book keeping. Just get the figures in there to start with and you can make it more sophisticated at your leisure

Reply to
Stuart Noble

At that level, Excel or equivalent or possibly Access. You'll spend so much time trying to force an off-the-shelf product to do it the way you want it that you might as well DIY completely.

I still use a spreadsheet for PAYE, but I've moved to Access for other accounting. In my spare time (!) I'm looking to move the data to MySQL with web access to it.

You'll also want to keep track of asset capital allowances, so if you do go for a package, make sure it's versatile enough to keep up with Gordon's year-to-year whims. Life used to be simpler...

Reply to
Joe

TurboCash. open source. Free

Money
have 3 high end computers here and several older ones knocking about and my wife insists on doing paper books.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I write as someone who is a qualified accountant, has taught computerised accounts at night school for years and who had advised many, many small companies.

If you do not have Stock, then avoid the high-end packages such as Sage. Sage is brilliant IF you have Stock and/or IF you have some book-keeping knowledge.

If you do not have at least some book-keeping knowledge, then all the computerised accounting packages will involve a steep learning curve.

My recommendation to small businesses has often been to use a Manual system such as the Simplex D System - obtainable from large stationers - in either the VAT Registered or Non-VAT registered version. The Simplex D system is very good, is Inland Revenue approved and has a helpline. It is designed to produce year-end accounts for tax purposes, either by yourself or with the assistance of an Accountant (recommended). If your main reason for wanting a system is Cash Flow Control and comparison of trading figures from one to another, there are very few systems to beat it.

Even though I sold computer accounting systems and sold training, I never had the heart to recommend computer packages where they were not needed or even contra-indicated.

One of the major problems with all computer accounting systems, no matter how good they are, is that if you make an error it is not always immediately obvious (causing you to act on incorrect information) and correcting the error can be a bugger unless you really understand the workings of the system.

My email address is valid if you want any further help.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

I would forget all accounts packages and go for the Excel spreadsheet option.

The spreadsheet option can be changed to suit your needs very easily. I have set up the following pages.

GENERAL LEDGER (the main page that uses info from all the other pages) NI UTILITIES BANK CREDITS JOB SPENDS BANK DEBITs CUSTOMERS QUOTES SECURITY SALES ACTUAL CAR COSTS PETROL LOG TOOLS MILEAGE MAINTENANCE PPE STOCK PUBLICITY

Most of the pages just have the following headings

Date Description Cost

With the Sales page with headings

Job/Quote Nos Description Quoted Price Payment Method Month Order Rxd Date Start Date Finish Date Hours Work Invoice Issue Date Invoice Paid Date

And the Mileage page

Date Job Nos Description Start Mileage End Mileage Total Business Mileage Total Private Mileage

Do not forget to do massive amounts of backups onto CD's. I have had 2 HD's crash, and have had to go back 2 weeks on my jobs. So always keep a written record of what you do etc, and do not throw them away.

My biggest problem was trying to get a package that did what I wanted. None are customizable, or at least I think they are not.

One of the basics I wanted was to allocate a start mileage and an end mileage to each job, which I thought would have been easy. I have not found a way of doing it in Sage. It can done in Quickbooks, but on seperate pages to the job.

Be very cautious, as every one has stock ????

If you want a blank spreadsheet I can email it to you.

Reply to
bendit

Can I have a copy too?

I have MYOB (Mind Your Own Business) software and hate it.

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Peter F

Seconded.

I did a fair bit of Beta work on Dosh Cashbook way back in 1997/8. Stable, cheap, even the VAT man was impressed. I was using it up to end last year when I closed my business.

They are a UK company based in Sussex and very friendly if you need a simple question answered although full on Tech support isn't usually available over the phone but it's absolutely piss easy to use and assumed little or no bookkeeping knowledge.

They run quite a suite now for different applications and the Payroll package is very good too.

Reply to
?..?

Tell me what you think, because obviously I have compiled it just for me and my needs.

If you like I can write out a sort of step by step.

1 in 100 get a computer generated Inland Revenue Tax investigation every year. So it might be your year ??
Reply to
bendit

Thanks chaps. Just downloaded a trial and it doesn't seem to be able to generate an invoice - which I need to do sometimes. Is it me being dim?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

i love exel, with just a little bit of self learning you can achieve all of your needs!

Reply to
Gav

Just tried Dosh, Turbocash and Ace Money

None of them appear to be able to track mileage ?? which is essential in any business.

It makes me wonder how many accounts package programmers are self employed.

Ace is certainly to US orientated.

Reply to
bendit

You never asked about Invoice Generation Excel has a template I use for that. Sequential numbering, customisable and after use and issue to customer all I did was enter the details on the invoice into Do$h and all was done.

Reply to
?..?

...essential to any business where you need to travel that is ;-) In my company we just treat travel as a line item with a value per mile. If we need to charge 10 miles travel then that's 10 off at however many pence per mile.

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

Might be worth looking at Quickbooks SimpleStart - that does invoicing. Only problem is I don't think they do a demo version. You have to buy it and try it. If it's no good there's a 30 day money back guarantee.

I use Quickbooks Pro myself and think it is awesome. Over the top for a self employed style business but intuit write excellent and very useable software.

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking