Access constraints for new bedroom?

I want to turn the back third of my garage into a bedroom. This new room would have to be accessed by passing through the master bedroom. The master bedroom is big enough for a corridor to be built but I'd rather not. How generally acceptable is accessing one bedroom by passing through another considered to be? I'm thinking ultimately in terms of resale value. TIA

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I wouldn't count it as a bedroom if I were looking to buy.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Thanks for the response. I wonder how representative of mainstream opinion yours is?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Absolutely unacceptable. Useless. Undesirable. One of the biggest errors in property development. Will deter almost all prospective purchasers. Didn't you watch the "back bedroom in a terraced house" episode of Sarah Beeny?

If the extra bedroom was for children and the master bedroom became a playroom it might appeal to a family, but you're still not gaining a bedroom. You're also losing part of the garage - does that mean you'd be losing a parking space as well, because that is a planning consideration. And building regs will require a means of escape from that extra bedroom as it'll be classed as an 'internal' room without direct access to a fire exit route.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think that most people would feel the same.

Think about it this way. What situations do you think it would usable? I can only think 'baby room' - any other use is just not practical.

Consider turning it into an en suite, or even a walk-in wardrobe.

Reply to
Grunff

I would certainly feel the same if it was a hotel but in a family house I'm not so sure.

Yes, baby room certainly comes to mind, perhaps extending to youngest child room. I see from what you say that it's not the most flexible of situations though.

Both these options have some merit but bedroom is definitely top of the list in terms of usefulness. I'd sooner go with the bedroom and provide corridor access.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

If the layout and room size allows for a corridor, then this would be a much better plan I think.

Reply to
Grunff

Personally I think it would offer no increase in value, other than as an en-suite, even a walk-in wardrobe would only add appeal and not a lot of value. But that only my opinion, why not ask a local estate agent? Rob

Reply to
rob

Yes but there's always a little reluctance stirred up by the thought of reducing the size of a room. This house currently has two large sized bedrooms downstairs and a relatively enormous lounge upstairs with windows at each end and a good view. The lounge would make two sizeable bedrooms easily. I could convert one of the downstairs bedrooms into a smaller lounge with an existing french door onto the garden but what a loss of a fine, warm lounge. Decisions, decisions. :-),

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

My SIL was in the same boat - an extension to the back of the house was done such that a new bedroom was only accessable via another. The local EAs told her that if she lost part of the "walk through" room to make a corridor it would actually raise the value of the place (even though it lost space in a room and effectively would have made a double bedroom into a single). They all seemed to think that most buyers find this objectionable.

Reply to
John Rumm

My opinion: leave it! Don't spoil the lovely big room by turning it into two bedrooms. The number of bedrooms is not the only criterion that defines the value of a property. For some people, a large, airy room is worth a lot more than an extra bedroom.

Reply to
Grunff

Added value is definitely the clinching incentive when spending wads of dough.

I will of course because it's the thing to do, but I know the people on this NG much better and respect their opinions accordingly.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Yes, thanks John, it's quite obvious when you put it like that but still performed with some reluctance.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

You've convinced me, thanks. :-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Yes, those seem the only plausible ways to present a through-room.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The message from Mike Halmarack contains these words:

My brother had a 5 bedroom house two of which were accessed through other rooms. It was useless, horrid, inefficient and a bastard to sell.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "rob" contains these words:

Or possibly a study.

Reply to
Guy King

You put it most convincingly. The study is an interesting idea too.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Much depends on if you are preparing the place for sale, or planing to live there. If you are going to live there, do it the way that works best for you. You can always change it as part of the prettyfication process prior to selling.

Reply to
John Rumm

Given the particular situation that's probably a good idea.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack