AC motor - suitable source?

Because you will cook the motor if you ask it to deliver any appreciable power whilst under voltage.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Moht cook teh variac. Probably won;t cook teh mnotor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've modified the speed controller on a cheap 1/4" router to go down to very low revs. Not much torque at low revs, but good enough for what I need. Very tidy. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Reply to
Grunff

With the Maplin (Vellerman) speed controller I used to use with normal drill mounted in a bench pillar attachment, the drill didn't like running as slow as I'd have wanted. Started smelling hot. But I have another mains drill designed for screwdriving where it does go slow (50 ish rpm) happily.

Maximum speed is normal for a mains drill.

Dunno if it does something clever for this slow speed - I think it does, as reverse is just this one slow speed regardless of where the controller is set.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)