Absolute rip-off crude oil derivatives

Can there be anything more profitable than products derived from oil? I was looking for some wood preserver today and came across creosote for sale in BnQ, which I thought was no longer available on environmental grounds. Anyway, the contents were listed as little more than diesel oil. It's the same with tons of other products I'm sure (the automotive industry to name but one). Distil a smidgin of oil (cost about 20p) stick it in a brightly-coloured tiny plastic bottle or spray can and flog it for $$$$$££££ LOADS OF MONEY ££££$$$$$$$$$$$ Screw you mugs, that'll do nicely.

Reply to
cd

Then make your own, bottle it and sell it. You'll be rich!

Then again, maybe it's not that simple.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Its not - at least not for domestic use. There are plenty of substitutes on the market though like creocote wich look and smell near enough like the real thing that most people don't spot the difference.

Same with pretty much any manufactured product.

Reply to
John Rumm

Factories aren't free you know. Nor are the many steps required to go from crude oil to a product in your hand.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Oh it is, many people used to use old engine oil as wood preservative back when people did their own car servicing, ie before it was all factory sealed and only dealers supposedly had te kit. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Cost of 25kg of potatoes from local shop, dirty in a sack. £8. Cost of potatoes from waitrose washed in plastic bags. £32.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its a good thing that people don't use old engine oil now. It didn't work and just spread pollution. Creosote is the same, painting it on does nothing to extend the life of fences.

Reply to
dennis

So that's why BT use it on telegraph poles?

Reply to
Capitol

Missed the OP, and he may well be right about some oil-derived products, but creosote was made from coal tar and contained mostly cresols, hence the name. I doubt you'd find too much cresol in diesel fuel.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes. Since Morrisons started selling 12.5kg dirty spuds for £4, that's how we buy them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Don't they pressure-impregnate them?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

World of difference between pressure treating and "painting it on"

Reply to
soup

The BOM cost of a product is (often) really rather immaterial to its final price.

Reply to
soup

A fiver from our local farm shop yesterday (25kg)!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I believe so. A fence panel is so thin that brushing is probably effective.

Reply to
Capitol

Its because its thin it lasts. If it dries out the rot dies. I have feather edge board and it hasn't been treated for ~28 years and its fine. The posts rotted through 15 years ago (now spured) and the aris rails need replacing soon.

Reply to
dennis

C'mon, that's dennis flapping his gums. You can safely assume the opposite of anything he asserts.

Reply to
Huge

Most obvious one being maker's printer cartridges.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

or perfume

tim

Reply to
tim.....

yes,

but how does one keep them from going "off"

tim

Reply to
tim.....