AA Li-on - how can they be AA

Lithium-ion = 4.2 V/cell? I see quite a few adverts for Li-on AA batteries (~1.4V) How can this be?

I bought some "quality" Li-on batteries and they measure 1.75V. Cheapo ones measure 1.45V

from the net - seems it's 1.2V/cell really:- (is all a bit confusing)

Lithium-ion

The nominal voltage of lithium-ion is 3.60V/cell and represents three nickel-based batteries connected in series (3 x 1.20V = 3.60V). Some cell manufacturers mark their Li-ion as 3.70V/cell or higher. This offers a marketing advantage because the higher voltage boosts the watt-hours on paper (voltage times current equals watts). The

3.70V/cell rating also creates unfamiliar references of 11.1V and 14.8V when connecting three and four cells in series rather than the more familiar 10.80V and 14.40V respectively. Equipment manufacturers adhere to the nominal cell voltage of 3.60V for most Li-ion systems.

How did this higher voltage creep in? The cell manufacturer plots the voltage of a fully charged cell that measures 4.20V, discharges it at

0.5C to 3.00V and takes the mid-way point. For Li-cobalt the mid-way point is about 3.60V. The same scan done on Li-manganese with a lower internal resistance gives an average voltage of about 3.70V. It should be noted that the higher voltage is arbitrary and does not affect the operation of the portable devices or the setting of the charger.

The phosphate-based lithium-ion has a nominal cell voltage of 3.20 and

3.30V. This makes this battery incompatible with regular Li-ion and their chargers.
Reply to
michael newport

AA is a size not a chemistry. You can buy carbon, zinc, alkaline, various lithiums (and others) in both primary and secondary cells in AA size.

Don't buy one that your equipment can't take or there may be damage.

Reply to
dennis

Then they weren't li-ion batteries

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes - but I was wondering how 1.4V (AA "size") can be derived from a 4.2V cell.

Reply to
michael newport

They are not Li-Ion - they are metallic lithium - and they're primary cells, not secondary (rechargeable).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Look again at those AA cells you bought. They may be Lithium, but I can't see how they can be Lithium Ion with the terminal voltage stated.

Reply to
Graham.

These are the ones - with charger. (?)

michael newport

link as sent in reply to Tim

michael newport

Well, it cannot be LiFePO4 (the common form of Li-Ion) - that's 3.2V. It's not Lithium Polymer either.

Looking at this:

the pictures clearly say "Ni-MH".

I would say the seller is talking crap.

Reply to
Tim Watts

they say 1.5v, 3.7v and 4,2v on them in different places.

I THINK they are 1.5v when 'fully discharged' - but that level of discharge on a Lipoly will f*ck them forever.

Oh..no - its those cunning chinese again....

"KENTLI common polymer lithium ion battery technology through a voltage converter, the output voltage of 3.7V 1.5V lithium converted into a voltage output, and is fully compatible alternative to traditional batteries, completed a major initiative in the field of traditional standard cell, making lithium batteries to the development of generic batteries solid step forward."

so they have some sort of voltage regulator inside to drop the volts down to 1.5V

They claim its patented, but I can find no record of that patent anywhere.

ZL200820043879.8 is the alleged patent number

I bet its just a transistor resistor and zener diode and they get hot when discharging.

And blow up when shorted.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its the kentli things. As I said they have a regulator inside so they LOOK like 1.5v AAs but they are in fact 3.7/4.2v cells regulated down.

Dodgy as hell.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or is there a regulator built in?

Reply to
Capitol

It is the latter, though how good it is, is a moot point.

Done properly with voltage and current sensing and a diode for charging it could be rather cute.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Looking at the discharge curve and other info I suspect they have DC-DC converters to give 1.5V out from 3.7V cell.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

I had fun with a wireless rechargeable house phone last week. It uses 2 x 1.2V aa Nimh cells. Having deduced that the batteries probably had died, I went into my stock and found a couple of fully charged ones(1.4/.5V) popped them in and the phone still didn't work. Discharge rate was checked and operating voltage measured. All apparently OK. Replaced them with ZnC cells and the phone worked. Bought some new rechargeables from Amazon and the phone works. I can only assume that the internal dynamic resistance is critical in this application.

Reply to
Capitol

I see. Somehow it seems like a bad idea...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Excellent idea in fact because it give you the much better performance of an Li-On and fixes the problem with the voltage dropping at all until the battery is flat.

Reply to
JHY

Look what I've found. All is at last reviled.

Graham.

better than I thought. Proper smps

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Let's say 90% efficient. With four cells, wouldn't that be 60% overall?

Reply to
Graham.