A very senior moment...

It won't start in safe mode either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm confused. Are you saying each installation makes up it's own password? As I said I've never entered one for this. Nor been asked to enter one when doing the original installation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm the only one who has done anything to these machines and haven't ever entered an administrative password. I'm called 'Dave' as administrator. That isn't the administrative password. I've tried all the passwords I use for other things too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just checking, it is a Windows password you are looking for, is it? Not a BIOS password?

I ask because Advent computers have a nasty habit of suddenly putting in a password for the BIOS and not telling you what it is.

Reply to
Howard Neil

When XP first boots during install, it asks you to create an account "Dave" or whatever, and set a password for that, it also creates an Administrator account with the same password.

You get the chance to create a handful of other accounts at the same time.

Then it sounds like a customised install CD that does that has some defaults embedded in it ... all bets are off

Reply to
Andy Burns

IIRC there is a key you can hold down while booting to bring up the boot menu something like right-ctrl

Reply to
dennis

Windows. When trying to use the repair console on the installation CD, it asks for the administration password.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I left the password blank.

Don't remember that.

[Shrug] It look like the genuine article to me and has been registered with MS. Bought from the same place as I bought all the PC bits.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you've got a functioning installation of XP that gets as far as the login screen, but you can't get logged in, is that it?

If so, the Nordahl bootable CD/USB that I mentioned will let you set the administrator password to something known, so you can then login.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns

No. It attempts to boot, then stops long before getting to the desktop. It's the repair console on the installation CD that asks for the

*administration* password. Before even attempting to start XP.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK, Peter's bootable CD/USB will *still* change the password, then you can carry on with the repair console ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , "dennis@home" writes

That would be F8 dennis

Reply to
geoff

Hmm, must be an odd version of the XP disk - I frequently do repair installs of XP from OEM copies of the disk, and never have any difficulty preserving the existing apps etc. Have you got another XP CD to try?

Reply to
John Rumm

Usually an indication that there is a fundamental driver or HAL incompatibility.

Reply to
John Rumm

That only works if the menus are still enabled!

Reply to
dennis

dennis

Only the one - as I said I bought and paid for it. It wasn't supplied with a ready made computer. Says on it 'for distribution with a new PC only. For product support contact the manufacturer of your PC'. Which I suppose is me. ;-)

So it is possible it doesn't have 'everything' on it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There's only one thing likely to be missing from it. A legitimate licence...

Reply to
Adrian

It is genuine and has the product key. Bought from a long established reputable supplier. IIRC, the only real difference from a 'full' price version is no paper handbook.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)