A Troubling Question

Is there a difference in mass between a DVD containing 1MB of data, and the exact same DVD containing 6GB of data?

Reply to
Peter Parsnip

Grrr this has been cross posted everywhere

In answer to the question, writeables or rewritables will be the same but originals are pressed so there may be a minute differance

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Ah but, assuming that we are talking about dual layer (9GB capacity DVDs) then both the 1MB and the 6GB DVD store exactly the same amount of data. The DVD containing 1MB of data being padded with 8.999GB of

0's the DVD containing 6GB of data being padded with 3GB worth of 0's.
Reply to
ChrisJ

If we can assume that it's not a factory pressed DVD, then the 6GB disc will weigh less. The 6gig disc will have been in the writer for far longer than the 1meg disc, so will have eroded more due to contact with fast moving air. Obvious, init !

Reply to
Grumps

And what is your opinion? Perhaps you should go and play with your other vegetable friends.

Reply to
Grumps