A real angle grinder question !!

In a thread on 'Tools' John Rumm scores the brownie point for suggestion an angle grinder - and that reminded me that my small one has had to go in the bin - worn out and the clamp nut wouldn't budge the other day whatever I did.

So as a DIY'er with currently no specific uses and a general requirement, what is good value for money at the moment ? I've got a

9" electric one from Aldis for heavier cutting.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

In a thread on 'Tools' John Rumm scores the brownie point for suggestion an angle grinder - and that reminded me that my small one has had to go in the bin - worn out and the clamp nut wouldn't budge the other day whatever I did.

So as a DIY'er with currently no specific uses and a general requirement, what is good value for money at the moment ? I've got a

9" electric one from Aldis for heavier cutting.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

If you are (or likely to) need to cut much masonry then either a decent one with good dust ingress protection, or a crap sacrificial one that you can afford to have die after a couple of jobs.

For metalwork, a cheapy is usually ok, unless you need a long working time without pauses - in which case a good one again.

My big Hitachi grinder has spend most of its life cutting masonry, and yet never misses a beat.

I have a small B&D proline one - that's ok, but gets 'kin hot with prolonged use. Also got a small Site one - that's pretty good IME.

Bosch often do twin packs of blue 4.5 and 9" grinders that are very good value.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , robgraham writes

Consider a 5" rather than the usual 4.5". Lots more work out of each disc.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I bought a 'Site' brand (made by Makita) from SF which is superb - cut above the cheapies I've had before. Can't find it on their 'improved' web site though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They were in the bargain clearance section just a few days ago.

Agreed, the Site stuff seems very good. I've got a Makita 9" (80 quid ten years ago) and a mate has a recent Site (fivepence hapenny). You can't tell them apart.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The 9" version is still on sale - the 4.5" I don't think they have had for a while. I got one for £19 when they were on offer (I only mention that to wind up Dave since he paid double that IIRC ;-)

John Rumm

I bought 2 of these when they were 40 quid, they rev a lot slower than the

89" 230V bosh.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

>> I bought 2 of these when they were 40 quid, they rev a lot slower than the

I would have thought the spindle speed would be the same on both - its set to give the right cut rate at the edge of the disk.

Bosch ones do have a characteristic sound that is different from many though.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've an optical tacho at work, I'll check the no load speed of both when I get back, if I remember.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

>> I bought 2 of these when they were 40 quid, they rev a lot slower than the

89"? Now thats what I call an angle grinder :-)
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Fat Finger Fault, I meant 9*

AJH

Reply to
andrew

One of the neighbours has a 60" -- they're a monumental mason

Reply to
Andy Dingley