A rather disturbing website...

I don't think you mean with wifi do you? Locating a laptop on wifi should get you no further information that the IP address of the router providing the wifi. The same information that you would get for a wired machine on the same lan.

A laptop on 3G mobile data however may well be be located more accurately.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm scribbled...

Google collect(ed) wireless nats with their streetview cars, and combined it with addresses. For a time it was possible to get that info from their database.

There are companies that can locate mobile phones and for a short time one website did it for free.

Then we have Win 8 with TPM 2

Artic

There are a lot of ISPs in the UK where you get a different IP address when you reconnect. SKY and virgin for instance (that probably covers most customers)

There are no real advantages to static addresses as far as most users are concerned. You don't even need one for a mail server (but it does make black listing servers easier).

Reply to
dennis

Says London for me, too, which is hundreds of miles away. I think it just finds out who owns the pool od IP address, which I expect will be your ISP, or whoever they buy the capacity from.

Reply to
Max Quad

Even before that the ISP had a choice of pipes into the BT network. there were cost advantages to some of them for some ISPs.

That is up to the ISP and what they want to do with their IP addresses, it has nothing to do with the BT network.

Reply to
dennis

I think you should start with rfc1853 and work on from there if you want to know what BT does.

But not why it does it!

Reply to
dennis

It doesn't do any such thing. Not for normal retail ISPs.

It sells the ISP a pipe and the other side of the pipe has a certain contention ratio depending on how much the ISP is paying. That contention is for all ISPs using that bit of the network.

Its up to the ISP what contention ratio they put on their pipe into the network as long as they don't put more customers on than they are paying for.

There is no QOS offered on the product.

Reply to
dennis

exactly that IS qos managemnt of a kind..

other than that which is inherent in its operation..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

More like 12.5 sq. miles to be within 2 miles of TNP.

Stalk away. TNP has dropped a number of hints as to where his palatial pad is located and even what his real name is.

I thought TNP lived SW of Cambridge, not SE, which would place him in Cambridgeshire, not Suffolk, unless he is actually slumming it in Essex.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Very, very rarely get a new ip address simply by reconnecting on our patch of VM cable. More likely to happen if modem is changed, though it can change at other times.

Reply to
polygonum

No. Just to have watched one of the films.........

Reply to
ARW

In message , at 15:11:22 on Tue, 27 Aug 2013, Roger Chapman remarked:

Somewhere near Newmarket, I thought (which is in a rather isolated bit of Suffolk sticking into Cambs).

Roland Perry

In message , at

22:26:44 on Mon, 26 Aug 2013, "dennis@home" remarked:

Which is what happens behind your back if you aren't careful.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

11:46:01 on Tue, 27 Aug 2013, John Rumm remarked:

Yes, I do mean wifi. Not only did Google (and at least one other) wardrive the entire country logging the position of wifi points, but nowadays they keep them up to date by apps on mobile phones reporting (without the users realising, and obviously only if both wifi and GPS are enable) the identity of local wifi points, and the GPS co-ordinates of the phone.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Roger Chapman scribbled...

I put him in a square with 4 mile sides.

What! Not this one ?

Artic

Roland Perry scribbled...

Too many of the boundries in that part of the world have been moved around by the post office and local councils, the county lines wander all over the place.

Peterborough in Cambs - WTF ?

Reply to
Artic

Bloody plagiarists. Mutter mutter mumble

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm with the same ISP and my details in RIPE are spot on, however the ip-tracker site puts me in Sevenoaks Kent when I'm actually in Woking Surrey. Wouldn't surprise me if Adrian has done something deliberately to obfuscate the data.

Reply to
pcb1962

IME (and I was a Demon customer for over 10 years), the performance was sawtooth -it got poorer & poorer, they bought more/faster hardware, it got better, then more customers joined, it got poorer & poorer, rinse and repeat.

Demon shot themselves in the Usenet foot with Lawrence Godfrey, though.

Reply to
Huge

In message , at 23:27:51 on Tue, 27 Aug 2013, Artic

Reply to
Roland Perry