A rather disturbing website...

Only on their own network, surely. There is an ATM VC that goes over BT's ATM network to connect my router to one of my ISP's routers. I don't see that BT has access to the IP addresses of each end of that circuit, or, if it does, it shouldn't be spying.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think the £10/month was more of an attraction compared to the arm and leg that the other 'net providers wanted at the time (Pipex etc). B-)

But being one of the founder members of Demon I'm possibly biased.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You have to be bloody joking.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Natural Philosopher wrote: [snip]

You could always grow a pair.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Given that it tells me that I live in central London it's about as accurate as a Cadbury's watch.

Thanks for the proof that hiding behind an alias means the poster is a coward.

Reply to
Steve Firth

BTs radius servers are used by all independent ISPs without LLU, they 'proxy' the ISPS own radius servers.

How else can BT know where to vector the actual ATM conversation?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It hardly seem worth worrying about since there are enough other ways of finding someone's address without resorting to using their IP address.

Reply to
John Rumm

Most ISPs will have the full postal address for each of their customers

- after all they want some assurance of collecting payment. They will normally be ale to relate either a static IP, or if the time of the connection is known, a dynamic IP to the relevant customer.

However to get that information out of them should require a court order (although other rules may apply for spooks!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends on the time window you pick... once they had built their scalable server, it worked very well. A few years before they needed the scalable server it was also ok. However that couple of years in the middle kind of spoilt it!

Reply to
John Rumm

I suspect that it just knows good looking people of very high intelligence :-)

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I would have expected that, with one end in my local exchange, the other end on the ISP's router, BT would use their management software to set up a VC between those points over their ATM network, and that would be it as far as their involvement was concerned. However, giggling for "BT Radius Server" appears to indicate that it doesn't work like that; perhaps the simple approach doesn't scale.

My only experience of ATM was when it was all the rage for WANs back in the late 90s. Since then large networks that I was involved with all scrapped it and went for 10Gbps leased circuits using SDH or 10gigE, and subsequently dark fibre.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

And how many people live in those 8 sq miles?

Reply to
Artic

Artic scribbled...

Bollocks - that should be 16 sm

Reply to
Artic

less than 500

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Java Jive

In message , at

15:49:25 on Mon, 26 Aug 2013, John Rumm remarked:

Ahem! RIPA has been in place over ten years now, and only requires a senior enough manager's signature, in whatever public authority or police force claims to require the data.

Reply to
Roland Perry

The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

But as you're all related, I'm sure they'll keep your location a secret.

Reply to
Artic

It has me anywhere within the M25. Only 300 miles out, which I'm quite pleased about!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message , at 17:48:04 on Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Chris Hogg remarked:

Which simply proves that geolocation based on IP address is crap.

However, should you be using a laptop (let alone mobile) with wifi, there are tools/databases that people can use which will quite likely locate you within a few hundred yards.

Reply to
Roland Perry

It doesn't actually know who your ISP is until your router tries to login. If you reconfigure your router with the login details for another person using a different ISP (but also on BT wholesale), you will find you can login to their ISP on your line just like you normally log in to yours.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel