A rather disturbing website...

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly (it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like to know how) where you are located.

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same - that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least is known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically allocated IP address how accurate it is.

I did look up one 3 year old dynamically allocated IP address in an email from someone local, and it reckoned they were in Dorset, which is a long way away, but the mail was several years old.

So I'd like to know if it 'knows' where you are right now.

The implications are not pleasant. Especially in the context where I discovered it being used. In essence any website that wants to know where the person that said XYZ on their blog is located, to possibly withina few miles, can do so.

And the site I chanced upon is one where the sort of people who run it, would be quite capable of slinging a brick through your windows slashing your tyres or worse.

Needless to say I got out very fast indeed.

Looks like a proxy server in a datacenter is the only way to go if you want anonymity these days...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surely this information has been available for years? I get students to find out this stuff routinely, just to see if they can.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I didn't get a pinpointed location: the map displayed a circle some thirty miles in diameter. Even taking the nearest point on the rim of the circle to me, the site was over sixty miles out.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Puts me 120 miles away...

Jb

Reply to
Jb

Nowhere near with my ISPs... big circle round london but the edge still well away.

Reply to
John Rumm

I suspect it might be a coincidence. I'm on a fixed IP address and it's a tad under 100 miles out.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

I have a /29 subnet at home, the checker thinks I'm in Kettering which it thinks is in Nottinghamshire, map shows Corby. In reality I'm a few miles south of Leicester.

Reply to
Andy Burns

More paranoia from NP! I am in Somerset and it shows me as being in Central London. Completely useless as a means of locating me.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

well the paranoia is justified as it got to within 2 miles of me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm on a fixed IP, and the website gives an almost central London location, whereas I'm actually in SW Surrey some 40 miles away. It did get my ISP (Zen) right. Looks as though it can give you the country OK, but not much more.

Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

Probably not the right Newsgroup in which to ask the "how" question. You may be better off in something like uk.telecom.broadband.

However it'll at least be looking up records in the databases maintained by several Network Information Centres (NICs). This information is publically available.

For example, see the description of the Unix "whois" command:

Dynamic IP address here. With a provider that's based in Sheffield. Tells me I'm in the London area. Which is about 100 miles away. And I'm also nowhere near Sheffield.

Alternatively you could use the Tor network:

I believe I could set up the packet filter on my Unix boxes to use this for *everything* if I so choosed. Haven't tried this.

But see:

for a list of open proxies.

Reply to
Dennis Davis

Plugging an IP address into

will often get it close. I suspect that's what it is using.

Amusingly, one of these sites gets it quite wrong. I'm in East Kent, but it gives me as in Arnold, Notts. I think they'e parsing the wrong field in the RIPE data - that's part of my ISP's name...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

It places the centre of the 20 mile radius that it thinks I'm in about 4 miles from my actual location. It might get a bit closer in London, but only because tha area covered by each block in the IP range for a particular ISP is smaller due to the greater population density.

If I log on via 3G, it thnks I'm in the docklands, which are about 200 miles away.

A fixed IP address may well have the street address associated with it, depending on how particular the ISP is about registering such things.

Reply to
John Williamson

In message , at 07:24:31 on Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Bob Eager remarked:

Seems unlikely in my case, because that would put me in Slough (not Salisbury). Let alone where I really am!

That particular ISP has some 'interesting' entries in the RIPE Database. Several of the entries have a "missing" or "unspecified" address, so I think we can understand why they have latched onto a town appearing in the person-name field instead.

Reply to
Roland Perry

It shows I'm in Rugby, about 250 miles out.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Around 20 or so miles out.

And exactly the same location that other services (such as Google's) assume for me.

Being on an arm of Virgin's cable, they all seem to base location on the start point of this area.

Our ip is dynamic but it very, very rarely changes (don't actually bother checking but it certainly has remained the same for several years).

Reply to
polygonum

About 1/2 mile out.

Reply to
RJH

I don't see anything there I've not found via other look up systems. T the coding seems to have a list of which IPs on a given machine go to which general areas of the area in which it is situated which one would expect surely, as this is hardly secret.

Kingston upon Thames is as accurate as they can get here, due I'd imagine to the dynamic IP. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , at 01:01:29 on Mon, 26 Aug

2013, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

I'm on static IP (which is one stage less variable than 'fixed' IP). And it claims I'm in Salisbury; a town 200 miles away that I have no known connection with.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I've used the same fixed IP for a decade or two but it thinks I'm in the middle of London :-).

Reply to
Peter Parry