A nice simple grouting question!

We've decided that it's time I regrouted our shower: the old stuff is discoloured, being a good 15 years old, I guess.

I thought that I would scrape out the old stuff just to a certain depth (it's not actually falling out or owt -- just looks scruffy).

Then I figured on obtaining a good quality "shower-grade" grout (I don't even know if such a commodity exists yet), and simply filling in the gaps back up to the appropriate level.

Any tips or comments on this proposal? Tools? Grout brands?

Thanks a lot, John

Reply to
Another John

We've decided that it's time I regrouted our shower: the old stuff is discoloured, being a good 15 years old, I guess.

I thought that I would scrape out the old stuff just to a certain depth (it's not actually falling out or owt -- just looks scruffy).

Then I figured on obtaining a good quality "shower-grade" grout (I don't even know if such a commodity exists yet), and simply filling in the gaps back up to the appropriate level.

Any tips or comments on this proposal? Tools? Grout brands?

Thanks a lot, John

Try wiping Domestos on first. It may make re-grouting un-necessary. (don't use cheaper bleach). If it doesn't give the improvement you want then it will kill any spores that could spread into the new grout.

Reply to
DerbyBoy

Angle Grinder?

I used one of these

not from screwfix

Reply to
TMC

Try scrubbing with an old toothbrush and bleach first...

If that does not work, then a carbide segment saw on a multimater type tool will rake the old grout easily. Regrout[1] with a dry mix product (i.e. cement based, not acrylic), then treat with Lithofin grout protector before first use.

[1] Get a proper rubber faced grout float - makes the job so much easier.
Reply to
John Rumm

I've used the carbide blade on the multimaster and found that in a couple of places it chipped the tile. Since the grout was quite soft I ended up using one of the manual tools.

Several people have recommended finishing with Lithofin before first use. Finished a bathroom before Christmas so it has not had much use, the shower isn't fully operational yet. Would it be too late to use the Lithofin?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Much depends on the width of the grout line. If its a bit narrow, then its probably easier with a manual rake.

No harm in trying I suppose.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for all the replies! Just shows that even in simple things it's worth asking [in this group!]. I will seek one of those proper grout rakes, check that I have the grouting tool, and will look for Lithofin.

Oh yes and thanks, but we've been using toothbrush and (diluted) bleach on and off for years -- it's really got too bad by now!

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

IME it's the scale that holds the dirt, so vinegar is a better bet. If you're prepared to keep brushing it on for a couple of hours, it could still be a solution. IIRC raking grout is VERY tiring

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks a lot for this one Stuart -- not only a tip, but a possible "get-out"! I haven't de-grouted for a decade or so: I dunno about tiring, but Jesus HC, it was ***tedious***!!!

I'll try the vinegar (white!). Thanks again

John

Reply to
Another John

A decade's worth might take some shifting but allowing the acid to trickle down in the same spot will tell you if it's doing anything.

Reply to
stuart noble