A nice politically correct building site

It was like travelling back 40 years in time.

The labourer was called "Black Dave".

That's the last time I work in Scunthorpe.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Did he mind?

If Typhoo put the T in Britain, who put the ....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Was he asked?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I used to play cards at school with a guy called Khan. This being a largely white area we all called him Ghengis. He said he quite liked it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

There's a big difference in nicknames used between friends and those used as an insult to strangers. Even although the wording is the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Tim Watts writes

Yes they do.

A few years back we had two Daves. The second one to join was younger, so got referred to as "young Dave", which after a while he started objecting to on the grounds that he was 30. Problem was solved when the other Dave left.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Nicknames given by work colleagues often ain't popular with the recipient. Same as in the army. But the more they object, the more fun it becomes. So best to just live with it until in a position to get your own back. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One of circle of old school friends is a couple of years younger than the rest of us, hence "little Rob." The name has stuck and he is quite happy with it, depite being 6'2"

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Inverse humour (aka "Little John") is the least likely to offend. On that basis, I should be called "Slim Tim" but I don't mind "Fat Bastard" either. I suppose some people get offended more easily ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

Back in the 17th Century it was quite common to refer to "a black woman" - meaning someone with black hair.

Even now we still talk about "a blond woman".

Reply to
Plusnet

What about Young Mr Grace?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes that is true. I was in charge of a very multi-national shift in a transport workshop and some of the names were very difficult to pronounce.One chap had an Afgan name so will called him Fred when we shouted for Fred, people would be surprised when he arrived also another called Dev was of course Dave. We all got on together but between theirselves they still retained their own traditional dislikes of each other and they call us racist..... Robbie.

Reply to
Roberts

"Black Irish" referred to jet-black hair and nothing to do with other organs or Hiberno-Caribbean musicians.

grimly4

Some in our office used to have fun at the expence of certain imigrants by calling them on the internal phone from the other end of the office and asking to speak to Isaac Hunt.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Pitt the Younger would be 253 years old - if he were still around today.

Reply to
Plusnet

I have a customer who always phones up saying "Its black dave here ..."

Reply to
geoff

Plusnet wrote: [snip]

He just changed his name to "Ed Milliband".

He's still the same snivelling snot rag used as a toast rack at school.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If you see a pub called "The Black Boy" it's probably King Charles (I forget which) who was a little swarthy. I've seen some with pictures of young African men in Moorish dress.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Kids are just the same with knicknames, best approach is to only make a fuss about the one you like. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice