A most amazing occurrence

I just tried to reply to "Is this a stoat" but it does not seem to show up either from eternal september or bigpond but if I test (new post)or reply to a different post it works.

Reply to
F Murtz

You'll have to look in cam.misc for your reply, the OP set followups there for some reason.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

It seems to only not work if I reply to original OP because it works with a later poster. ???

Reply to
F Murtz

I see your later(?) stoat reply, plus your test thread and this thread all in uk.d-i-y on giganews

Reply to
Andy Burns

It only failed when I clicked on the original post and tried to reply.

Reply to
F Murtz

It didn't fail, but the OP sent it to a different newsgroup.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

I set it randomly actually

Albsni has some strnage ideas about X-posting.......

"Why is my crosspost not accepted?

Cross posting heated discussions from a high-traffic group to a low-traffic group can destroy the smaller group, especially if the discussion is off-topic there. One reason for the severity of cross post floodding is that only few users ever check the adequacy of the group list in their reply. For that reason Albasani is configured to require a Followup-To: with some cross posts. This a suggestion in which group the thread should continue.

Unfortunately Outlook Express hides this feature in an obscure menu item. See How to set a Followup-To with Outlook Express

Affected groups

The restriction applies to group names matching at least one of the following words.

0d kook politics politiek politik politique alt.config ch.talk rec.photo.digital soc.culture"

This means that I cant post acceptably to a spectrum of - say - uk.d-i-y, cam.misc (for localish interest) and the sorts of posts that appear in uk.d-i-y X posted to places like alt.computer.hardware etc etc don't work properly either.

Is probably time to find a better news feed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did not see that just replied as usual,he caused me to send Ferret a few times and people on the other group would be wondering what th I was up to. Why would any one not want uk.d-i-y folk to see follow ups to their question. I notice another poster made follow ups to his follow up to uk.diy only would that be a quiet protest?

Reply to
F Murtz

Turnpike would not post to cam.misc only. Presumably because it is not selected in my news list. The message simply stayed in the outbox.

When someone mentioned the follow up setting I stripped out cam.misc rather than just adding uk.d-i-y, nothing sinister intended:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A very astoat observation, do you mink its weaselling out of carrying the thread?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That answers the question why only some of my replies got through then, who would do such a silly thing?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

its all too much. I personally feel that if something incorrectly gets to a group not intended its as annoying as it flooding another group. after all one does not have to read all posts, not even in outlook express. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Noted, TNP, not cross pointed for a while, I stick to cam.misc as people I know or... not know.

BTW your 3 cats here are thriving, playful and eating well! Lyn

Reply to
Lyndsay

TNP,

Very Interesting.

I do hope newsgroups survive, possibly one of the oldest part of the Internet. Lyn

Reply to
Lyndsay

The group comp.lang.c was subject to an attack like this at one point

- I believe they called it a "splashback" attack. Someone who didn't like the group posted lots of plausible questions in other groups, with followups set only to comp.lang.c, which consequently filled up with lots of well-meaning answers to irrelevant questions.

Reply to
Paul N

Fascinating.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Which, for no good reason, reminds me that Dennis Ritchie died over the weekend. I was the world's worst programmer, but one of the few things that I did (eventually) understand was C.

Reply to
Frederick Williams