A meet?

The recent sad news about Andy reminded many of us that we have not had a meet for a long while. I meant to suggest one earlier in the summer, but have been too busy: I emigrate to Australia two weeks today!!! But I hope to hang around here if you'll have me. I am keeping my SuperBeam /ProSteel business and will be running it from Melbourne.

It's short notice, but if anyone would like to join me at Wetherspoons Twickenham Tuesday next week (23rd) that would be great. Food is OK and cheap. 2-3 mins from station and no problem parking after 6.30

I would be quite happy with a central London location or the place in Reading we went to before (have sold the car so am now PT limited!)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Thanks - excellent idea - but will be unable to make it - circumstances.

Reply to
Rod

Long old haul from this part of teh world. Have a good time both at the meet and down in Oz.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I could do that if it's going ahead since I'm working reasonably close ATM.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We shall look forward to lots of posts about boreholes and roo-proof fencing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That should provoke a few to turn up.

Reply to
R D S

To throw a spanner in the works ...

I'm going to a meeting in Westminster that day. I will never make it alive to darkest Twickenham and then back home to Suffolk in the evening, but I could manage late afternoon early evening in the centre of London

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:  (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

Its too far from me in the North West and also am in chemotheraphy then. Hey i look bad most of the time, you really dont want to see me when in chemo lol

Best of luck anyway I hope it all goes well and you all have a drink or two for Andy, have one for me.....

Reply to
Samantha Booth

you can come and meet at my house - bring your tools!

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

lol

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Owain coughed up some electrons that declared:

And how to unblock a bog with your pet trained brownsnake

:-|

Reply to
Tim S

Oh. I'd love to come, but there are only 2 days I could manage in the next 2 weeks, those being tomorrow (16th) and Thursday 18th, so I will probably have to miss out this time around.

Ah, the wonders of the Internet.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A bring-a-tool party. Probably end up with 3 hammers and 5 angle grinders though. ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

20 years ago I got to spend a day with a suburban Melbourne Building Inspector - hugely interesting, thank you Box Hill City Council (every suburb is a 'city' in Ozzie LA parlance).

The two most interesting things I still remember was the office block being built on timber piles (so heavily treated with arsenic etc that burning the offcuts on site was a no-go) hammered into the ground and, secondly, their roof purlins: a piece of something like 6x2, underneath it a wire rope shacked to the timber at either end and then jacked away from the timber in the middle to force the purlin upwards, so it then ends up straight when loaded. Structurally it acts like an RC beam with the timber as the stress block in compression at the top and the cable in tension.

And the other interesting thing was being able to build new houses without planning permission! Lots of that area was developed in the

1950s and 1960s with the 1/4 acre plot beloved of Aussies. Of course such a low density doesn't help sustain shops, public transport etc and infrastructure maintenance per home is expensive. So they brought in a provision that if you wanted to sell off half your garden for another home you could: subject to basic rules PP was automatic - minimum floor space, vehicle access and parking and something on the lines of all walls had to be half their height from the boundary.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

In message , Tony Bryer writes

Sorry, I'll be in pre-Indonesia panic mode, having done a lot of thinking about packing and not actually having got around to it

... a lot closer for a Melbourne meet though

(I might have to learn swearing and bad language first)

Melbourne is incredibly small -

Years ago, I was backpacking in Italy with a girl from Melbourne, then we went our separate ways. While I was working in Indonesia, in between jobs I spent a couple of months in australia and while in Melbourne, I phoned up and discovered that she was in London.

The next day, I asked some people working on tram traffic lights which tram to take to get somewhere

"Are you geoff? " the girl up the ladder asked

"err yes, how did you know ?"

It was the girl's sister who had answered the phone the previous evening

Reply to
geoff

It's better than seeing the alternative :-)

Never had chemo but I have been bald for brain surgery. I enjoyed it, I'm thinking of getting a grandson to give me a buzz so that I can experience it again.

I'll have one for you :-)

Mary too far for me too although I'm a bit further south, in Yorkshire.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Suggest a date and somewhere for a Yorkshire meet then. I could suggest a couple of pubs just off J37 of the M1.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

I do like your sence of humour. Like me if you cant laugh at yourself lol...............

thanks Mary, have one for me.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Whereas if you're going no one else will turn up.

Reply to
Steve Firth

what do you mean?

he's get lost on the way