A lock on a fridge freezer

May sound a odd one this but I need to put a lock on a fridge freezer for a friend whos child is battling obesity I said I'd ask on here as not something I know straight off the bat.

I was just wondering how you would go about fitting a lock on a fridge freezer ?

Usually friends ask me to put a shelf up or flat pack this is is a odd one.

Thanks

Reply to
Adam

Pop rivet a hasp & staple onto it?

A swift Google tells me that some models can have a key operated lock fitted to them. What make & model is it?

Reply to
Huge

I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone from the Prader Willi society can. This is a syndrome characterised by insatiable appetite and fitting locks to fridges is the norm. I hope this isn't your friend's child's problem.

Tim

Just check, /before/ you drill the cabinet, that the condenser is on the back. If it's under the outer skin you might drill into the coil (I didn't do that - a hacksaw is much better for the job!).

Reply to
PeterC

I'd be wary of puncturing the skin of a freezer anywhere. Once moist air gets in, the moisture will freeze out and before you know it, you could have a "cold bridge" between the inside and the outside and a growing bulge in the skin.

I'm sure that there must be adhesives that are up to the job.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

AIUI fridge doors should push open from the inside in case a child gets in when its off or thrown out in the yard.

Rusty

Reply to
therustyone

That a starving, 17 stone teenager won't be able to chew off?

Reply to
Phil L

Graham.

Perhaps they should not put food in that the kid can eat without learning to cook properly. ie. No ice cream or puddings, no junk food. The whole family might benefit and even spend less money.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Is there enough space to put the fridge freezer into a cupboard or at least put a fascia with doors in front of the fridge freezer?

ttfn, Ian.

Reply to
Ian

Possibly, but that won't work if the child has the condition I mentioned earlier.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

but a child is not going to get in and then snap on the padlock.

Reply to
charles

Just keep the fridge empty, like mine. Or with a few unappetising raw ingredients.

Or if there are things in the fridge that don't need to be kept in there (chocolate for example), they can be moved to a more easily lockable cupboard, or a safe.

Or, just more the whole fridge to a room with a lockable door. Perhaps with a secondary mini-fridge in the kitchen, that just has milk and stuff.

Reply to
BartC

Tell them not to buy stuff the kid will eat that is bad for them. A fridge full of fruit and veg isn't going to harm anyone.

Reply to
mogga

One thing - you can get luggage straps which will lock. One may not be long enough to go round the fridge but you could probably link two or more together. Not a solution with high security, but enough to deflect impulse opening of the fridge and also to show if the fridge has been opened. Apart from that, as suggested already you could glue a traditional hasp to the door and side wall and use a padlock. Students in shared accomodation should have expertise in this, and also those who furnish Halls of Residence.

Also, as stated many times, Google Is Your Friend.

can also get fridge freezers with a lock e.g.
discussed here
people who have used Google :-)

Again, the easier option is to lock the room which contains the fridge - if it is the kitchen then locking the door when nobody is there to keep an eye on the fridge would work as well as locking the fridge and would also secure all the other groceries etc. which might also be at risk.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

There's often a heater under the outer skin where the freezer door seal contacts. Sometimes it's an electric heating wire (sometimes with a switch for economy mode when atmosphere is dry), and sometimes it's a warm return pipe from the condensor. It's to prevent condensation forming under the freezer door seal which could freeze the door shut, ripping the seal when you try opening it. You may be able to feel it's warm there, but it's often subtle.

Positioning the staple far back from the front face would reduce the chance of hitting anything functional behind.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't drill it, glue it!

Tim+