A life of grime!!!!

I've just purchased the most smelly and disgusting house that I've ever been in for investment purposes. I'm told the previous owners kept cats (20 of them!!) which have weed directly onto the bare floorboards, the stench is pretty bad and obviously needs to be eradicated ASAP.
Can anyone suggest a way of getting rid of it without replacing the floorboards (eg bleach or any other more suitable chemical).
Many thanks,
ChrisD
ChrisD wrote:

There are chemicals that claim to disperse the smell of cat urine, I've seen them in the larger pet stores, but I don't know how effective they are. If at all...
If you have a helpful local council, their enviromental health department may be able to suggest something suitable.
Lee
--
Never summon Anything you can't banish.
-
Lee Blaver wrote:

Make a TV programme about it and use the proceeds to get it cleaned up.
Just change the boards. My current house had a similar problem but just in one corner of the room. No chemical in this world ever stopped it smelling. As soon as did any work near the boards the smell came out again. Further the boards themselves were not particularly strong either having been peed on for so long.
Thanks Lee
I'll get down to petsmart tommorrow and if no luck I'll contact environmental health.

If it's bare wood, you might be better sealing it in with varnish.
chris snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (ChrisD) wrote in message

Hi.
Bleach works, but by the sound of it the pee is probably not just on the top surface, so you may need to lift the boards and wash to get rid of it all.
Of course there will probly be pee all over the top surface of the ceiling below too: not too much bleach as you dont want it collapsing. :)
Sounds like kitties shoulda been housetrained properly.
Regards, NT
On 6 Oct 2003 06:29:32 -0700, chris snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (ChrisD) wrote:

With all the messing about and buying different cleaners etc and all the time involved I'd rip them up and replace them.
Learned the hard way that fixing and patching up things is often a waste of time and effort in the long run. Better to rip out and replace in some instances.
Mark S.
ChrisD wrote:

Clean and wash down everything, and remove all carpets and burn them.
It goes in a few weeks. Honest.

Yes I agree. My first house stank of cat and dog pee and chainsmoking and I spent five days ripping up carpets, scrubbing all surfaces, painting all walls white and by the time the paint smell had gone, so had the other smells
Anna -- ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Pargeting, decorative and traditional / ^^ \// lime plasterwork |______| www.kettlenet.co.uk 07976 649862

Not if has had time to soak into chipboard it doesn't.

Michael Mcneil wrote:

actually it does even then But it may take a few montsh or more to oxidise..
I tried using a strong bleach soloution but it was useless so I've decided to rip up and replace the floorboards instead then sand and polish them which will money save on carpets.
The cats didn't need housetraining but the owners sure did, I can't describe how filthy this house was. It amazes me that people actually live this way.
Thanks for all your replies. Chris www.12limited.co.uk
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:45:18 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.please.kettlenet.co.uk (Anna Kettle) wrote:

At least it hadn't had a four-weeks-dead body in it....see "Life of Grime" on BBC1 tonight....!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
Bob Eager wrote:

haha. I had a case of Bad Smell once. COULD NOT work out what it was. Ec=vnetulaly after a week or tow it went away.
The next time I went out with the old trusty Nikon, I picked up the camera bag, and found a dessicated mouse corpse the cat had brought in to play with...

Just wait until he puts on his stereo headphones :-)
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ The most dangerous component in a car is the nut that holds the steering wheel
John Stumbles wrote:

Careful, you are betraying the heritage of a misspent youth, there.

So that's at least two of us who spotted the Fabulous Furry ref 8-)
On 6 Oct 2003 06:29:32 -0700, chris snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (ChrisD) wrote:

"Simple Solution" - comes from petshops and is very effective on cat pee.