A good tip for chilling drinks quickly

Works for cans and bottles, but would probably work for other stuff too

Just wrap the can or bottle in *wet* tissue or bog roll, and put in fridge (or leave outside in this weather). 15-20 minutes later it's gone from room temperature to ice cold.

Works a treat!

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Ice cubes and loads of salt - 5 mins.

CO2 fire extinguisher - 30 seconds :)

Yes - it was a Myth Busters - but the ice+salt works - I demoed that to the sprogs...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Never tried that, I might do now!

I keep taking cans of drink upstairs & forgetting about them but leaving them outside on the window sill in wet paper does the trick when I can't be arsed to go back down to get a cold one.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

If you did that in a Hotpint 'Frost Free' Fridge Freezer you'd end up with a drink the temperature of freshly brewed tea.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Or drop some liquid nitrogen into it.

O yes - we did that one the other week. :-) Stomach removal...

Reply to
polygonum

Was that typo deliberate?

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, and despite you mentioning it I had to reread it a few times to find it.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Would that be a Hotpoint (or even pint :-)) 'Frost Free' Fridge Freezer or a 'Fully Frost Free' Fridge Freezer?

Don't get me started on those POSs ...

Reply to
John Stumbles

I would like to have been a fly on the wall at the board meeting when they argued that Hotpoint was a suitable brand for a refrigerator.

I have always thought Cold Shield was a poor choice for DG, I see the logic of course, but it would be better for the name to reflect the warmth that's kept in.

Reply to
Graham.

Why? Do you think someone would have been stupid enough to argue that they should market refrigerators under a new brand (which no one would know) rather than use the Hotpoint brand which was known and trusted because they were good electric irons?

Reply to
Robin

They could have done something like invent an associated brand - e.g. Coldpoint. Close enough to highlight they are the same company but without sounding so utterly ridiculous when taken literally.

Reply to
polygonum

As it turned out you would have been right but it might have been considered risky at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Reply to
Graham.

Years ago we had an Electrolux refrigerator - neither electro nor lux, all gas!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It gave out a nice warm glow didn't it?

Reply to
Graham.

I wonder if ever occured to them that people might [still] be reading Hotpoint as "hot point" by the time they started to sell fridges. IIRC my parents - from the generation when fridges first became common in the UK - never read it as "hot point"; for them it was just a brand of irons, toasters etc. Indeed, I don't think I read it that way or knew why the firm was called Hotpoint until I toured their old factory in West London. But perhaps that just goes to show my stupidity is possibly inherited :(

Reply to
Robin

Well you forced me to go off and find out why they called themselves Hotpoint. I might have asked myself why a few times over the years, but had never before looked it up.

Reply to
polygonum

I also demonstrated my stupidity is (almost?) unlimited as it was

*Hoover* in West London. So where the flipping heck was I told about the "hot point" USP?
Reply to
Robin

Ha, I'd rather have a fridge that was cold inside all over than just at one point in space and/or time. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And washing machines would have been wetpoint? Dryers drypoint?

Reply to
mogga

Halmyre