A go at explaining pH

It took me a while to knock up a bit of a not too mathematical explanation of pH during the thread on the acids wiki. In that thread it has aroused no comment so I post it here in case anyone is still interested, and had given up following that thread.

Huge wrote:

> [...]

Spamlet says:

Some of the confusion comes from the way we tend to label acids as 'corrosive: causes burns', and alkalis as 'caustic: causes burns'...

The negative log gets you a nice round figure for one particular ion instead of having to quote for H+ *&* OH-, but it is by no means an easy concept to explain.

Let's have a go...

You could just say that: "Extremes of acidity or alkalinity are highly reactive and can cause serious burns": but how to indicate just how reactive they are? A useful way to make a scale of reactivity is to imagine a series of concentrations where each step is ten times stronger than the last. Such is the pH scale.

[You can think, similarly when you are heating solutions: a 10C rise in temperature approximately doubles the rate of reaction.]

The 'H' in pH stands for hydrogen ion (H+). Positive ions like H+, are reactive atoms from which an electron has been removed: this is what *makes* them reactive in solution: they 'want' to get their electrons back, from other substances, to become neutral again. The more concentrated these ions are, the more strongly they will be able to attract electrons back and the more vigorous the reaction will be. The pH scale *only* deals with the concentration of the H+ ion: the concentration of the chemicals that will produce a solution of a particular pH varies with the chemical, so speaking of Strong Acid, is not the same as speaking of concentrated acid.

When the chemist says Strong acid, he means that it is a substance that forms these H+ ions easily *in water*. Water is what is termed a 'polar' solvent, because its molecules are arranged such that the O atom has a bigger attraction for the molecule's electrons than the two H atoms. This makes each molecule like a little magnet with slightly positive poles at the H end, and slightly negative poles at the O end. This is what makes water such a good solvent: its slightly charged molecules can surround ions like H+ and keep them free in solution to make them available for chemical reactions.

Each step in the pH scale from 7 down to 1 indicates a tenfold increase in strength in the *acid* direction, with pH1 being ten million times as H+ ion concentrated as pH7. Each step in the scale from pH7 up to pH14 indicates a tenfold increase in the *alkaline* direction, with pH14 being ten million times stronger than pH7. [This may seem an awkward way of looking at things, but it saves having to have separate scales for H+ and its counterpart, OH-. For the DIYer it might have been more intuitive to call it a pOH scale, so then we would have a scale where the numbers went up with the concentration instead of down, but we are stuck with it I'm afraid!]

The concentration of the H+ ion is not directly related to the concentration of the acid that produces it. Weak acids with a capital W do not so readily form H+ ions in water, and so can still have a moderate pH even when quite concentrated. Solubility is also important: HCl is a gas that won't dissolve in water to give highly concentrated solutions, whereas H2SO4 will concentrate almost to treacle like consistency, and is so attracted to water that the pure acid is only found in space. In concentrated form it is extremely dangerous, but, because it is so lacking in the water the H+ ion needs to become mobilised, the term pH is no longer much use to indicate just how dangerous it is. Remember, the pH only refers to the concentration of H+ : not of the acid itself.

We normally make solutions of chemicals with water as the solvent. Everyone knows that the 'formula' of water is H2O, but if you want to imagine a bit more about pH, it is better to think of it as 'HOH'. This is a neutral structure in which the electrons are shared between the three atoms, though, as above, the O attracts them more strongly than the H, so it could be said to behave like a little magnet. Despite its general stability, in a volume of water containing billions of these molecules, a small percentage break up into ions: the H+ that we have already seen, has its counterpart in the negative OH- ion. This ion still has the electron attached which has been 'lost' by H to make the H+ ion. So, in the case of the OH- ion, it wants to 'give away' or share its extra electron to become neutral again, and, as in the case of H+, the more concentrated OH- becomes, the more strongly will be reactions, as it seeks to share its extra electron to become neutral again. The fact that water is thus slightly ionised itself allows us to quote a pH for it even when nothing is dissolved in it.

As, in pure water, there are always the same number of H+ ions as OH- ions, it is neutral over all, and should have a pH of 7 but will often be a little lower in practice. Once acids or alkalis are dispersed in the water, the pH changes dramatically as extra H+ or OH- ions are mobilised. Acids are, thus chemicals which break up in water to greatly increase the proportion of H+ ions relative to OH- ions. Alkalis have the opposite effect: increasing the concentration of OH- relative to H+.

Hope this gives a reasonable insight without having to go into the maths. Wikipedia proper will give the full picture, for the mathematically inclined:

Spamlet

A brave effort, but who are you aiming it at? That should set the depth of explanation. Degree-level and A-level chemistry students could cope with a greater degree of detail than gardeners worried about the pH of their soil, for example. I suspect the latter wouldn't get to the end.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It was intended for Tabby for his 'acid wiki', but he seems to have gone quiet. I expect he's having a break from all the rewrites;-) (If you followed through to the Wikipedia entry: I think you'll see how low I did try to pitch it!)

Spamlet

Sorry, but thats far far too complicated for the Wiki article IMO.

How about;

-------------------------------------------- "In laymans terms the 'strength' of an acid or alkali compared with water is measured by something called the PH Scale.

Water, being neither acid or alkali is referred to as nuetral and is given the value of 7. Acids are given a value between 6 and 1 - with 1 being the most acidic and alkali's range from 8 to 14 - with 14 being the most alkali.

Either extreeme is dangerous & corrosive. And acid with a PH value of 1 or an alkali with a PH of 14 are both very strong chemicals.

14 - 13 - 12 - 11 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 Alkai Acid

Its worth knowing that the scale increases by a factor of 10, so a PH value of 12 is 10 times stronger than a value of 11 and a PH value of 4 is 10 times stronger than a value of 5."

------------------------------------------- Prolly needs a tidy up, but I reckon its at the right level.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ta for that - reminded me of the bits that I'd forgotten in the last 40 years.

Is it worth mentioning the difference between strong and weak acids? The main real-world effect for domestic use is the buffering of weakly dissociated acids and that they need a lot of rinsing away. Whenever I wanted a winchester quart for something, I used one that had had a strong acid in it (used to store wine in them!) as e.g. acetic needed a lot of removing to avoid taint.

Reply to
PeterC

The right level unless you're a chemist, certainly (which we aren't here, mostly, I imagine). I dint read the start of this thread but I'm guessing he gave a definition of pH. The salient point there is simply, that the values (such as 7 for water) are not arbitrary, but can be calculated from measured values. So, the chemist measures something and does a calculation and out pops the pH value.

I used to know the exact definition when I was about 15 but I don't care now :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think I got a B in O Level Chemistry without actually knowing that much.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The reason for needing to define Strong and Weak is because of the misconception that in the case of acids strong and concentrated are the same thing. The various replies to the thread show this general confusion amongst d-i-yers and it may lead them into trouble.

Spamlet

Absolutely not: in laymans terms the strength of an acid is its concentration: that is why an explanation of the *pH* (there is no such thing as PH) scale is needed.

But you have not cleared up the points that brought the subject up in the first place: including why a weak acid like acetic acid can give you nasty burns and why concentrated sulphuric acid is weaker than concentrated hydrochloric acid yet gives you much worse burns.

It is also very odd to me that a group of people who can discuss the finer points of complex electrical circuits and devices ad nauseam, can claim to find a little simple electronic chemistry, from which all the maths has been removed, too hard to even read.

I do not know who the wiki is actually aimed at, but as it stands, it is positively dangerous, and I would urge readers to read the Wikipedia proper, on any acid or other chemical with which they are unfamiliar, and to seek out the proper safety regulations and procedures that go with its proper use and safe disposal.

When it comes to circuits, you can quote regulations like there is no tomorrow, but when it comes to something equally as dangerous with possibly far more regulations involved, you want the public to receive a dumbed down version!

Spamlet

I got a C in O level physics with chemistry; knowing even less:-)

I think the simpler explanation is adequate for the d-i-y Wiki but perhaps with a health warning and url to the full job.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Snip

The number refers to the zeros in the number of ions. I forget the listing but I just read it in a mazing text book on elecktirckery by somebody bODANIS.

Fangs for reminding me to look him up:

Electric Universe

This is something of a sequel to E=mc2, taking another powerful scientific idea, and tracing it through individual biographies. It shows electricity powering our civilization, and our minds. The book won the Royal Society's Aventis Prize, for science Book of the Year in

2006.

chris