A garage on wheels?

Just thinking aloud, really. My little Morris Minor needs wrapping up safely during the winter, and spent last winter on a trailer, with everything wrapped up neatly in a (plastic) tarpaulin. That worked well, but does not really allow for occasional winter use. Unwrapping and rewrapping is a fairly major task, and I do worry about trapping moisture, and chaffing.

A proper garage is not an option, for a variety of reasons, so I thought vaguely about building a shed on the trailer. Yes, it will mean that the trailer stops being a useful trailer, but if the Minor breaks down, the AA can bring it home.

Thoughts are to use 2 by 2 uprights, with ply sides, apex roof, and plenty of preservative. Remove the trailer wheels, and let it sit on the stabilisers - the slope up is about seven inches. This is for occasional, not daily use, so not a major problem.

Any major problems I haven't foreseen?

Reply to
Graeme

Apologies, in advance, for not answering your question, but...

I'm actually disappointed...

Having read the title of your post, my mind immediately began wandering around the possibility of manufacturing rigid frames, maybe 3x or 4x, that describe the profile of a garage, each on lockable wheeled based. Staple tarp. to the frames with 4-6ft in between each and you have a fold-away "concertina" portable garage. braced wooden floor panels sitting on top / between the frames provide a floor, which, with a car parked on top of, provides the solid base to avoid it being blown away in high winds.

...I'll get me coat

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Owain

Doesn't answer your question but why not run the Moggy?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mike Dodd writes

No, no no ! Actually, that provides food for thought. How about a frame on top of the trailer, covered with a tarp? Easier to convert back to a trailer, if/when required. Frame constructed from powder coated poles, which must be available somewhere, complete with corner joiners.

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Almost! This is an important year - 60 years since the Minor was introduced, 40 years since mine was first registered, and ten years since it was last run on the road. It is running now, but not roadworthy yet, although no major problems. Hopefully, back on the road within the next few weeks.

I used to use it as an every day car, but, in the future, will run it for fun only, and would like to provide some protection during the winter, when use will be less. A tent on a trailer sounds promising :-)

Reply to
Graeme

================================== Possibly one of these:

probably cheaper, a modified section of agricultural polytunnel.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

This is exactly what you need

RW

Unless the trailer is unusually robust, it will have been designed for the major load to be taken by the wheels. Unless you provide some support in that location, you may find the bed and stabilisers distort.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In message , Graeme writes

A shed on a trailer? That sounds like a ridiculous idea.....

A shed on a tipper, now that might work :-)

Hth Someone

Reply to
somebody

That's a shame. No 3 son rolled mine but was determined to rebuild it. Ha! Only the windscreen was salvageable.

So he bought another wreck and over about three years made it not only roadworthy but beautiful - cream. It's his everyday vehicle and isn't even garaged. He doesn't leave it on the street though.

Have fun EVERY day - there may not be another ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thus spake RW ( snipped-for-privacy@here.net) unto the assembled multitudes:

Except it doesn't have any wheels...

Reply to
A.Clews

I *know* this isn't quite what you asked...

My mind was taken back many years. Rik Mayall? Grim Tales? His chair? Mussorgsky? Emerson, Lake & Palmer? Pictures at an Exhibition? Hut of Baba Yaga?

And lo, I saw in my mind's eye a wood and canvas garage mounted not on wheels but gigantic chicken legs (maybe turkey legs?).

Dare to be different...

I'll go get my straitjacket.

Reply to
Rod

Why not "just" buy a covered trailer?

Some piccies here;

are, however, not cheap.

Reply to
Huge

It would have if you mounted it on your trailer !

Reply to
RW

Thus spake RW ( snipped-for-privacy@here.net) unto the assembled multitudes:

Reply to
A.Clews

I live near Stoke on Trent, there is one trailer manufacturer who does all sorts at good prices. There may be one near you. I know not DIY.

Reply to
Broadback

Ah. Thanks Chris. I did not realise that, although describing the stabilisers as stabilisers should have given me a clue.

Reply to
Graeme