A dose of realism, please

Page 6 of 6
jerrybuilt wrote:

Let's hope people don't think you're quoting me, Jerry - these were Geoff's words. ;o)
RM
Reestit Mutton wrote:

Erm, the quoting looks OK to me, Netscrape (for reading, not psoting!) - isn't it? What an interesting name you have, BTW. Is it real?
be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!
jerrybuilt wrote:

Almost, Mozilla 1.4 on Linux for both.

It's a Shetland delicacy. Have a look at www.shetland-heritage.co.uk for details of the recipe.
RM

You appear to be quoting Mr Mutton as saying "Grow up and get over it". At least it isn't clear that you intend to only to quote him as saying [ snip ] and not the comment afterwards.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Oh dear! I know there are threading issues with the way of psoting that I'm employing, but are you saying the ">"s used in quoting, i.e.: |A said: |> B said: |> > C said: |> > > I am C |> > I am B |> I am A|new text from jerrybuilt
are coming over wrong? I've added "|"s in the example so that hopefully the quoting in this reply won't be confused.
be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!
jerrybuilt wrote:

It's a minor thing really, Jerry, but if you don't plan to quote me saying anything specific, you're best off editing me out of it to avoid confusion, that's all.
In terms of the above example, it's the equivalent of blanking out what C said by means of the [snip] - some people might easily read an extra ">" when scanning the post because they expect me to be quoted saying something.
It's a psychological issue rather than a technical one.
cheers, RM

No, the '>' symbols are technically in the right place. However, with the line before being simply 'snip', it is very easy (in fact more likely than not) that a reader will assume the next line belongs to the only quoted name also. As there was only one line of actual text, your response appeared to be directed at that, not the snipped text of the named individual.
Christian.