A dose of realism, please

Page 5 of 6
writes

And be done for paying less than the minimum wage ...
--
geoff

Don't think you have to be a member for virtual help.
--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

writes

You jest

But expensive
Let's take a potterton suprima for example - the pcbs often last a couple of years at a cost of 170 + VAT (?), fitted by a CH fitter you are probably looking at about 250-300 to have it repaired.
--
geoff

Worst case example. Poterton are poo.
Nevertheless the boiler will last 20 years with much problems if the system is designed, installed and maintained correctly. Only minor components should fail in the interim. If you have a major item (apart from pump) you are unlucky.

writes

the real world much do you ?
--
geoff

As I said.. "Nevertheless the boiler will last 20 years without much problems if the system is designed, installed and maintained correctly. Only minor components should fail in the interim. If you have a major item (apart from pump) you are unlucky."

writes

I know what you said
I stand by what I said
--
geoff

Which is wrong.

IMM wrote:

You have friends???
--
Grunff

I am Mr Popular. Everyone knows me on this ng.

writes

--
David

Yes, David, you know some people, unlike yourself, have lots of them.

writes

--
geoff

LOL

It had better last that long for the price - but BoilerMan(TM) warned me that "they don't build them like they used to" and that 5 years was reasonable, 8 years very good. That being the case I did the numbers on boiler price vs gas savings and found breakeven after 5 years for a condesing boiler - just as the d*mn thing is due for replacement. As a result I don't want to spend the money and get the simplest and most reliable unit, figuring that it would be cheapest to own. Hence my original penny-pinching question.
On 31 Oct 2003 03:43:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Medallion Man) wrote:

This would assume that gas prices don't rise.
Also, you would find the ROI economics different and probably better from choosing a better quality condensing boiler rather than a cheap one built to a price.
The old adage of buy cheap, buy twice applies here as in most things.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

1100 for replacing a boiler is one of the cheapest quotes you'll get. I actually got a quote this low once. All the other quotes I had were between 2000 and 3200.
However, don't replace it with the cast iron lump you hinted he proposed. A cheap condensor might be a better idea, if it is suitable for the location proposed.
BTW, you'll never get a CORGI to commission a boiler for 50 quid, unless you sleep with them. However, it might still be good idea to do, as it will be much cheaper than getting them to install the whole lot.
Christian.
Medallion Man wrote:

Hummm, if you can identify the unit you may well be able to source a replacement heat exchanger, often the trade knows where to find them, but the suppliers are either hidden on industrial estates and/or require you to have a trade account before they will supply you....Theres a place in Portsmouth I use that carries a good range and isn't bothered if its a cash sale.
Niel.
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:17:55 +0000, sue.faga wrote:

In my experience the spares outlets (at least in North London) do not require you to have an account. One or two will not sell 'gas carrying parts' to unregistered fitters.
I did see someone ahead of me who wanted a new ignition lead for his boiler saying "it's getting so hot it's melted the lead" whilst holding a charred wire in his hand. He further went on to say "someone is coming on the w/e to look at it but I'm trying to get it going now". The shop simply gave him a new part.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
geoff wrote:

You're coming over as a bit of a prat with this continued "last word" stuff. You're not a woman, are you?
be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!