A Decent Screw!

It may depend on your walls. If you've got soft brick and 100 year old plaster, a yellow plug has as much chance of staying in as one of those really scary nailed picture hooks (i.e. 5 minutes if you're lucky). It wouldn't even reach the brick and the plaster can be picked out with a finger.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But presumably you ad 'ovis and t'pipe band played Dvorak?

Reply to
Andy Hall

As I said elsewhere I do make sure the plug is in the brick if I'm fixing something heavy. As I very frequently use 4 x 40mm screws with yellow plugs it's easy enough to get them 'below the plaster'.

Reply to
usenet

Certainly not! My mother made bread, the Boys' Brigade band only played military music. I loved it. My little brother ws the Drum Major.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My first job was selling them - Saturday boy at the Hounslow Coop shoe department. 24/- (£1.20) per day (1968) + one old penny in the pound commission. And a staff restaurant that served seriously good food for next to nothing.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

As the original topic has been abandoned ....

Twenty-four bob _a day_ ? ... my first year apprenticeship recompensed me at One Pound Eight shillings and fourpence _a week_! [Mind you; the good news was;- there wasn't much income tax to pay! ]

Forty-eight hour week-

08:00~18:00 -(lunch hour) plus Saturday Morning; overtime on Tuesday and Friday (My Mum let me keep the overtime-I gave her the totality of my 'wages' -but she gave me my tram-fare.)

- Tech' evening classes on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday- you got Day-release in second year if you'd passed the exams in the first year.

No namby-pamby seminar- attending supervisory attitude of 'motivating the workforce' - they just shouted!

Of course it was in 1958 - now those were the 'old-days'!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

"Andy Hall" wrote | What's the format of the Scotsman these days?

My father used to get that when The Times was on strike.

| I can claim Scots descent at least, although perhaps this | paper isn't entirely suitable for sassenachs (or saesneg | if you prefer)

Owned by the Barclay brothers and based in Edinburgh which even has a Harvey Nicks now, I don't think it would upset too many from the Heowm Cineties.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I must have had a really good job then, in 1956 I brought home £3.12s.0d a week and had an afternoon a week off to go to the Tech. No weekends, very little to do in school holidays but still paid, more or less school hours. I gave my mum £3/wk but she saved some of it for me.

I was earning more than Spouse, a metallurgical apprentice, he didn't get overtime but had to do it and went to Tech (where we met) in the evenings.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Regretably it has gone the same way.

What a wonderful collection of silver surfers we have here. I always thought this NG was full of people younger than I (~60) but I clearly see that you are all pushing along too.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

states, causing them to disapear, but aparently no such cause over here.

The victorians actually did think radiation was good for you - it made your cheeks rosy, and rosy cheeks are a sign of health. I think they used to actually rub something radioactive on their cheeks.

Nowadays they use some sort of footprint measuring device which the kids stand on to measure their feet. I think it might measure resistance, since the kids have to hold on to some handles.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

I know, I used to rejoice in being the oldest in any group but I've discovered that I've been upstaged :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is anyone else hearing the Women's Hour serial this week? The Innocence of Radium.

Horrible.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Brian Sharrock writes

You know, you're right there

My synapses are obviously rustier than yours

Reply to
raden

In message , Rob Graham writes

Oi !

I got my first pair of long trousers last week

Reply to
raden

Try

- they do a lot of stainless screws, both traditional woodscrews - as well as the new versions.

They also do small stainless hinges, useful for windows.

Reply to
dorothy

Ohm sweet ohm

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Wayfinders

MJ

Reply to
MJ

Watt?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Do you have any joules, currently?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I can't see any woodscrews at all on their web site.

Reply to
usenet