A clueless woman

She lost her gold wedding ring today whilst decorating and it went down a gap in the floorboards.

Her husband was at work and phoned me to retrieve it. I lifted the floorboard and could see the ring but I could not reach it with my arm.

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she relpies "I'll bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used before"

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Did you tell her it must be gold plate? :-)

Reply to
Old Codger

Perhaps all her other "gold" jewellery *is* magnetic.

Reply to
dom

"Your husband asked me to come round and sort you out. I have just the thing in my trousers to get that, but I'll need to get it wet first."

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Of course. But first melt it down witha mini-furnace, mix in some iron fillings and let it cool. Then use that magno-stick to retrieve the ring. Melt it down again and ahhh...invent a magnetic centrifuge to remove the iron filings. re-cast the ring and forge the assay marks. Easy. :-)

Reply to
dave

But you depend on such people for your employment! Be thankful.

Reply to
harryagain

You make it sound so easy ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Hope she wasnt; watching me as I've used those magnetic sticks to pick up things that aren;t magnetic. As it's a convinent tool and I usually know where it is ( well 50/50) I use it for all sorts of things, I just attach either double sided tape to the end or sometimes blu-tak, doubled over masking tape, it's useful for picking up dropped cable ties even paper slipped behind filling cabinets. I'd certainly use it on a Gold ring. :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

You'd think that she might have sussed that her ring isn't gold, then.

Reply to
grimly4

She was going to laugh at ARW when the ring didn't stick.

Reply to
dennis

No need. Since iron and gold have different densities, an ordinary centrifuge would do.

You can power it with the motor from the angle grinder you used to make the iron filings.

Reply to
Huge

Well ok then it's even easier isn't it - but not as much fun. Maybe the large Hadron Decider [sic] could be utilised somehow - anything to get a good look at it.

Reply to
dave

I have my Stick of Getting Things, which is a piece of bamboo cane with a hook on one end a magnet from a disk drive on the other.

Reply to
Huge

Neat, but are the cameras actually worth retrieving? I suppose people want the memory cards back?

Reply to
Huge

I've known Nikonos's recovered with distilled water/isopropyl alcohol, but that's from seawater. Probably better off claiming on the insurance.

(Thinks; Where *is* my Nikonos?)

Reply to
Huge

Isn't a Nikonos an underwater camera and therefore meant to be submerged?

Reply to
Andrew May

Yes.

Sometimes they leak.

Reply to
Huge

Besides which you still can't see them at the bottom of the river...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Although with the flashgun on, mine floats.

Reply to
Huge