A caution -Rubber Wood Furniture from the Far East.

I suppose that might explain all the looks-nice-but-not-very-strong furniture around too, then - they can't skimp on the labour or man-hours because the thing still needs to look good in order to sell, so they start cutting corners in the raw amount of material used. It doesn't save them much, but they figure it's better than nothing.

(I suppose it's not that big a deal to me, because I can always strengthen things as/when needed without altering cosmetic appearance - it's just a little annoying that I know I'm going to need to do that in a few years, when something of supposed 'good quality' built a few hundred years ago would have gone much longer without any attention)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

It does, you just have to score it twice.

I've not done it, but am told a regular hand grinding stone is fairly quick.

NT

Reply to
NT

I simply went to a glazier and asked for some 1/4" bevelled toughened glass.

And got it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm, maybe I'll give it a go, then... I've still got the broken bit that I can play with (I actually bust it trying to cut it, because I hadn't realised at that point that it was a laminate; it splintered badly all the way along the score line)

ta

J.

Reply to
Jules

its only 100 quid (now nearer 200) if you collect it, :) as you say, thats when most of the labour and processing costs start to add-up.

Reply to
Mark

NO!!

Never ever attempt to cut or polish hardened glass, and never use anything else for furniture use.

You finish the glass first, *then* toughen it by heat treating it.

Any glazier will do this, or get it done.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, I don't actually know if it's hardened or not - only that it's laminated. Maybe there's some sort of identification mark on it somewhere

- I'll have a look later...

That's useful to know...

cheers

J.