A bit OT, story time about cuckoo clock

Bought a "non-functioning" cuckoo clock off ebay a few weeks ago. Using my superb skills (basically fiddled about with it for hours), I managed not to totally ruin it but - actually got it working?

The clock mechanism itself, well no way was I going to fiddle with that but that worked anyway. The chiming and cuckooing parts didn't work. The worst bit was threading the chains around the drive wheels.

Just a closing thought, the cuckoo clock is a jokey thing but in fact it's a damn clever bit of mechanics imho. On the hour and 1/2 hour a little door opens a wooden cuckoo pops out, opens it's beak and waggles it's tongue in time to the cuckoo-bellows sound and rounds off with a nice hammered chime sound, cuckoo retreats inside and door closes. All done with bits of wood cloth and wire - and no spring power in sight.

Harry Lime underestimated the cuckoo clock :-) {Cue Zither music}... dang de-dang de dang,,,,, de-dang.....)

Happy Christmas.

Reply to
dave

Good lad, I collect clocks but cuckoo clocks are not my thing. Some old ones. excluding the very cheapest, are good in their design, engineering and manufacture. I have stripped and rebuilt a couple. Very much a back to basics design. No serious complications but somewhat tricky as decent (old) ones are almost entirely hand made.

I think the Third Man is one of the best films ever made.

1949 in a very austere post-war Europe. I'm glad I didn't live in Austria then. Carol Reed, Orson Wells, Joseph Cotton, Willfred Hyde-White, Valli; what a line-up! The porter and his wife made short but memorable appearances Anton Karas is the star imho Original narrator (in UK) was Carol Reed. This was redone by Joseph Cotton for the US.

Fwiw, cuckoo clocks are (I think) German, black forest. The Third Man is set in Wien.

Happy Chrstmas. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

if you want an xmas style best ever round up I submit "Casablanca" I'm trying to think of the best film featuring DIY? There will be lots of bad comedy DIY, how about good?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

"flight of the phoenix"?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Clothes from curtains in Sound of Music

Robinson Crusoe (thinking the Danish TV version - but he did quite a lot whoever filmed it)

Thunderbirds - now that Brains, he was some DIY fanatic...

Reply to
Rod

YES!

Any McGyver film..? Driller Killer?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Definitely not best film but for the family I recall Swiss Family Robinson, The Admirable Crichton?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The Amish and Harrison Ford were pretty handy with their tools in "Witness".

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

'Tremors' with Kevin Bacon.

"Broke into the wrong God damn rec room, didn't you, you bastard!"

That or 'The Blues Brothers'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Although in 30 years of visiting relatives in Lancaster County, I've never seen an Amish woman who looked remotely like Kelly Macgillis.

Reply to
Huge