A Bit OT - Satellite & Terrestrial TV in West Cork, Ireland

Course not... A Zone 2 mini-dish should work fine in Western Ireland - provided you've got a clear view toward the satellite of course. Make sure that the polarisation offset adjustment (LNB rotation) is set into click-stop position no. 2.

Reply to
Andy Wade

With that attitude? Nope.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

Fuck you then. It's not like I give a shit about the opinion of someone who hasn't tried it for themselves and actually knows what they're talking about.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Wade saying something like:

Note the word 'should'. You'll find it's marginal at best when it gets heavily clouded up here. Christ, it's bad enough in the middle of Ireland, the West is worse.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

HI All

Sorry to follow up my own post - but just for the sake of anybody who might be interested

After a lot of faffing around the 'expert' installers failed to turn up - so I got in touch with an alternative installer.

We now have more than twice the signal strength from the Sky antenna - turns out that the dish the 'experts' installed was deformed - and only gave 35% signal strength. A more solid dish of the same size (80cm) installed by the new guy, using the same quad lnb, gave a 70% signal strength reading on his portable meter.

At the Sky+ box this not surprisingly increases signal strength - but also gives a much higher 'quality' reading - which should make the system more tolerant of rainstorms etc.

Interestingly, the original dish had already started rusting - after only 5 weeks up on the wall.

As to the terrestrial problems - the new guy replaced the wideband, loft-mounted aerial with preamp with a new chimney-mounted yagi of the correct band. Because of the fact that the transmitter arrays are al pointing away from our direction (!) - all isn't simple - but the addition of a uhf-only preamp and a lot of 'tweaking' has resulted in a much better signal on RTE.

Conclusions....?

Just because the aerial installers have a big red van with 'expert' written on the outside, it doesn't necessarily mean that they actually know what they are up to.

The 'good guy' works for his own family business, doesn't have anything written on the side of his estate car - but does know what he's up to. In case anybody needs his assitance he is Anthony Hayes - and his family shop is tucked away in Bridge Street, Skibbereen, County Cork.

I won't name the other crowd - but they're also in Skib - and they have big red vans with 'expert' written on the outside

Thanks all for the comments & suggestions

Adrian West Cork, Ireland

Reply to
Adrian