A bit OT - horse shoe

I'm gradually clearing out the old workshop and moving across to the new one. I came across a horse shoe in a corner and am surprised how big it is - 175 x220mm. Is this going to be a genuine one or something made just as a large shoe ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

robgraham gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Elephant shoe?

Reply to
Adrian

Shires get pretty big feet wise.

Though it might be a Smith's special for decoration.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shire horses have big hooves... Not sure they are that big though but wouldn't be surprised.

If you hang it up somewhere make sure the prongs are facing upwards so the luck doesn't run out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My own feet are a foot long, so why should I expect horses to be any smaller?

This seems big for a contemporary saddle horse, but not if it's old and originally for a larger draught horse.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Quite normal for a shire or similar draft horse. Now for really big feet try an Ardennes horse.

Reply to
cynic

The Clydesdale that trod on my foot the other week has VERY large hooves, fortunately he's not shod and it was on softish ground seeing he weighs in at a tad under a metric ton

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Ah, but that way the witches can get in, hang it cockeyed.

Reply to
Nitromax®

One of our two riding horses (they are fairly big as riding horses go) has shoes which are getting on for 200mm across so 175 x 220 doesn't really seem all that big. Police horses could well be that size and big shires would probably be be even bigger.

Reply to
tinnews

Surely you need to face the prongs downward so the devil can't sit inside it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

'orse I learned to ride on had feet that the print made I could stand inside with an inch or so around the outside of me boots and I have size 9s FFS !

upwards

Or for the luck to pour out of the prongs all over you. There are many superstitions about horse shoes but luck falling out of the prongs is consistent. Of course the only really lucky horse shoe is a used one that you have found by accident.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not so lucky for the horse, though?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember robgraham saying something like:

From a shire horse, some of them have hooves the size of dinner plates.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Many thanks guys - I reckon this could well have been a Clydesdale then as I'm in Scotland. I can't remember when and where I originally found it but there's been a fair bit of earth moving around the house, so I will take the luck for finding it. The logic that such a big animal would have feet as big as ours is fairly persuasive.

The various myths are good too. I had tiny horseshoe in the old workshop which had it's prongs up the way - it would have been a pretty small devil to have sat inside it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

LOL! Unlike my wife's sister who trod on my unshod foot. She was shod, and caused some nasty bruising.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

But the one about making sure the nail you hang it from is a good, sound one, is consistent. Nothing more unlucky than being clouted on the head by a falling horseshoe.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That's a reasonable size for a heavy horse

Ive got one from a Noriker-Suffolk Punch cross.

that's not as big feet wise, as some breeds.

-
Reply to
Mark