A bit of Gripfill will fix that.

Grimly Curmudgeon

"The couple had a new central heating boiler fitted three weeks ago."

e-1789694

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Central Scotland Police said the majority of the Murdiston Avenue house has been destroyed by the explosion and the remaining part of the building will be made safe later.

It is expected that once this has been done, the residents who were evacuated from their houses will be allowed back into their homes later tonight, police said."

Including the couple taken from the house that blew up? After all, it will now be safe...

Reply to
polygonum

Well not of course seen the pictures but have read the article around the web. It seems that nobody smelled gas, so one wonders what actually happened, maybe the gas was leaking below the house but normally you still can smell it As an aside, just below the story on the page given in the link is a list of ten items which is completely silent to my system, ie no links text or anyting, what is there? I know there must be several pages on tha t page as I hear the clicking for an age before I can interact with the site. Very bad design. . Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, it's not likely to blow up again is it :)

Reply to
Gazz

There is supposed to be a picture gallery there, but it doesn't work for me.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I did not know, until reading it here, that whilst bottled gas is heavier t han air, town gas is lighter then air. The downside is that, unless you are on a boat, a bottled gas leak will flow out and escape under doors etc but a town gas leak will fill the room from the ceiling down at which point an y low level ignition is going to lead to a horrendous explosion.

Why don't one of you clever chappies invent a (town)gas alarm linked to a c eiling height vent which would automatically open when gas was detected and allow it to escape.

Reply to
fred

It does seem to take a long time to load. What do you use? JAWS, NVDA? Or something else?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
snot

On 29/03/2013 11:34, fred wrote: ..

air, town gas is lighter then air. The downside is that, unless you are on a boat, a bottled gas leak will flow out and escape under doors etc but a town gas leak will fill the room from the ceiling down at which point any low level ignition is going to lead to a horrendous explosion.

ceiling height vent which would automatically open when gas was detected and allow it to escape.

Possibly because Town Gas has not been used in the UK since 1987.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

There are often reports of mains gas explosions where there has been no sme ll of gas, you are supposed to be able to smell it long before it reaches a n explosive mixture. This would suggest that it is not always odorised as i t legally should be, there seems to be a conspiracy of silence about this. We need to know at which points in the system the gas is odorised, and so h ow large an area would be affected, if there are a series of explosions in one area then questions need to be asked.

Of course 'they' could be intentionally disabling odorisation, the ability to randomly explode buildings in a certain area has got to be useful to som e people...

Reply to
Jaffna Dog

not everybody has the same sense of smell. I notice escaping gas well before a lot of others.

Reply to
charles

On Friday 29 March 2013 15:16 Jaffna Dog wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Well spoken. Here's your special prize:

Tim Watts

air, town gas is lighter then air. The downside is that, unless you are on a boat, a bottled gas leak will flow out and escape under doors etc but a town gas leak will fill the room from the ceiling down at which point any low level ignition is going to lead to a horrendous explosion.

CH4 is 16; air is about 14.5 (just for relative 'weights).

ceiling height vent which would automatically open when gas was detected and allow it to escape.

Then the spark from the actuator...?

Reply to
PeterC

than air, town gas is lighter then air. The downside is that, unless you are on a boat, a bottled gas leak will flow out and escape under doors etc but a town gas leak will fill the room from the ceiling down at which point any low level ignition is going to lead to a horrendous explosion.

So a low level vent to the outside world would do the job nicely, unless you have a basement or a boat.

ceiling height vent which would automatically open when gas was detected and allow it to escape.

What spark? Solid state is more reliable and doesn't spark. Even motors using brushes and relay boxes can be designed so as to be intrinsically safe.

Methane detection is so easy, even Wodder's countrymen have caught on:-

Detectors for other potentially explosive gas mixtures are available.

Use one to drive a solid state relay and a brushless fan motor, and Robert is your father's brother.

Reply to
John Williamson

He said town gas, which used to be a mix of (mainly) hydrogen and carbon monoxide, hence head in the oven suicides.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

More about the boiler in the Scottish Sun (I don't read it, but I noticed it in the newsagent's):

Eve said her parents recently had a new boiler installed. She added: ?It looks like the explosion was caused by a gas leak. The boiler had been playing up. They had arranged for someone to come out and look at it, but obviously something like this shouldn?t happen.? Eve, of Stirling, added: ?My dad doesn?t sleep well. He is always up and about early, that?s why he was in the kitchen. It looks like he went to put the kettle on and the whole place exploded.?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Prolly dosent sleep well due to blocked sinuses, hence never noticed the smell of gas.

Reply to
Gazz

mell of gas, you are supposed to be able to smell it long before it reaches an explosive mixture. This would suggest that it is not always odorised as it legally should be, there seems to be a conspiracy of silence about this . We need to know at which points in the system the gas is odorised, and so how large an area would be affected, if there are a series of explosions i n one area then questions need to be asked.

y to randomly explode buildings in a certain area has got to be useful to s ome people...

?? are you Cheech or Chong?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

of gas, you are supposed to be able to smell it long before it reaches an explosive mixture. This would suggest that it is not always odorised as it legally should be, there seems to be a conspiracy of silence about this.. We need to know at which points in the system the gas is odorised, and so how large an area would be affected, if there are a series of explosions in one area then questions need to be asked.

randomly explode buildings in a certain area has got to be useful to some people...

Not so much disable, but quite a number of years ago they reduced its concentration to reduce the number of leak calls they got.

Reply to
polygonum